AGO User Type confusion

Jump to solution
07-15-2019 03:42 PM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I want to look into the workflow of using Collector to collect field data. When I look at my AGO profile in my AGO organizational account, it lists that my role is "user" and my user type is "creator". I tried to follow along with this blog post about making a Collector map and the first step is to Create a Feature Layer. When I attempt this, Feature Layer and Tile Layer are not present as options under the Create Content button.

According to this blog post under the Capturing new crop data header, it states:

Creator – Supporting the work of the Agronomist, members with a minimum Creator user type can create new feature layers, maps, forms, and groups within the organization that can be shared with the Field Worker so that they can complete their field work.

So what's happening here? Can organizational admins override user type defaults?

Thanks-

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Steve,

As a User role, you can create maps and edit features that are created by other users. However, to publish content to ArcGIS Online and create new hosted layers I believe you need the "Publisher" role. If you want to create a web map for use in Collector, you could try incorporating a feature layer that's already published by another user and has editing enabled. Or you could talk to your AGOL admin about getting a Publisher role.

For reference, here is more information about roles and user types: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm

Hope that helps!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Steve,

As a User role, you can create maps and edit features that are created by other users. However, to publish content to ArcGIS Online and create new hosted layers I believe you need the "Publisher" role. If you want to create a web map for use in Collector, you could try incorporating a feature layer that's already published by another user and has editing enabled. Or you could talk to your AGOL admin about getting a Publisher role.

For reference, here is more information about roles and user types: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm

Hope that helps!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Katherine. So, to be clear, the statement in the second blog post is incorrect?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I agree that it is a bit confusing....the way I understand it is that in that paragraph you reference, he is specifically talking about User Types. So in that case, yes, you do need a minimum of a creator User Type. However, that section doesn't talk about the Role necessary to complete those tasks in addition to having a Creator User Type. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek