Failed to execute TraceDownstream in ArcGIS Pro

03-22-2019 12:59 PM
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

I have created a model that uses the "Ready To Use Tools" from Model Builder in ArcGIS Pro.  However, the model has started crashing with the following error:

There is no clear reason why it keeps crashing with the failed error "Could not service request" and "Failed to execute (TraceDownstream)."  I am able to restart the model where it left off, but after a random number of iterations it crashes again.  The number of iterations between errors is between 1 and ~130 iterations.  Are the Esri data processing servers congested?  I have run similar models in the past and they have crashed much less frequently. 

I need to run this hydrology modelling tool close to 15,000 times but after several days of attempts, I have only gotten to about ~300 iterations due to this failed execution when accessing this online service.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Roland

5 Replies
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

This is the location of the hydrology REST service that the tool is using: https://hydro.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services\Tools/Hydrology\TraceDownstream 

0 Kudos
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

I tested this again, a few days ago, and it was still crashing with the same "Failed to Execute" error.

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Roland,

Thanks!

RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shitij,

• Have you tried running it from the rest end point? Is it failing even from this?

I have not tried that rest endpoint because the tool connects to a different location.  How would I go about changing the rest endpoint of the ready to run tool... TraceDownstream?

I am passing a single data point to the service for each iteration.  There are thousands of points..

• Are you creating lot of intermediate data?

I am not sure how to know what a lot is.  I am passing a single point to the tool... I process the returned stream segment and then iterate to another point.

• Can you share a snapshot of the model?

Yes.

Thanks,

Roland

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Maybe Shitij Mehta‌ or somebody else could take a look into this...