Labels display but Symbology doesn't

Jump to solution
06-26-2019 08:08 AM
DarleneRouleau
New Contributor II

I am trying to add and view a single feature layer from our service with the following code:

_viewModel.AddLayerFromUrl(
 "http://orbittest.miner.com:6080/arcgis/rest/services/GRU_ElectricDistribution/MapServer/1", "Support Structure");

_viewModel.AddLayerFromUrl(
 "http://orbittest.miner.com:6080/arcgis/rest/services/GRU_ElectricDistribution/MapServer/15", "Lines");

public void AddLayerFromUrl(string layerUrl, string name)
 {
 var layer = new FeatureLayer(new Uri(layerUrl))
 {
 Id = name,
 Name = name,
 IsVisible = true,
 ScaleSymbols = false
 };
 Map.OperationalLayers.Add(layer);
 }

The "Lines" layer displays fine in the map.  The "Support Structure" labels appear, but the actual symbols / graphics do not.  I have tried with ScaleSymbols set to true and false.  I am using 100.5.  I have reproduced this in the Sample App WPF provided by Esri.  

See attached screenshot.

I also attached the json for the troublesome layer.  Note that there are multiple layers on this service that demonstrate this behavior.  I also attached the .json for Anchor Guy which is a simple layer that reproduces the problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

Right, but Xamarin.Forms Runtime wouldn't involve the Windows OS when the iOS app is running. And, the app is built on a Mac. I want to be sure this bit of evidence makes it into your case. It appears to us that something more is going on here that doesn't just involve Windows or a KB that was installed there. Does the dev teams at esri have a theory for the symptoms we are seeing in iOS?

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

The underlying issue is actually on the server-side when responding to the client API requests or on the desktop when creating Runtime Content - in both cases the CIM JSON symbol generation is failing which results in a valid symbol definition (color, size, etc) but no symbol geometry to render. Setting UseAdvancedSymbology to false on the ServiceFeatureTable bypasses he server-side symbol generation/vectorization.

I believe that explains what you're seeing on iOS? 

Cheers

Mike

MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor