Adding New Imagery and updating footprint

12-04-2013 12:16 AM
PhilipHughes
New Contributor III
I have a mosaic dataset with imagery loaded,  the footprints are fine.  I now add newly aquired imagery and try to update the footprints.

I get an error 8004200c: Compute Footprint failed
(unable to draw contours for mosaic dataset item xxxx)

I have removed all connections and ensure no locks or other connections other than the arccatalog connection.

This is running on Windows 2008 r2 enterprise
sql 2012
ARCGIS 10.1,  although I get the same error on 10.2
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would recommend trying to look at the added rasters to be sure none of them are corrupt or somehow different(ie undefined projection).  If they are fine, then try to create a mosaic dataset in a file geodatabase and add the data that you just added.  If that succeeds then I would call into create a Support incident as something is not correct.  Usually that error would appear when there is an issue with the extent of the added rasters.  In this case, it may be the extent is not correct, corrupt or the projection it is in will not fit in the coordinate system of the existing mosaic dataset. You can also try to add the new imagery a little at a time and see if you can determine which raster may be causing the issue.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
There are various modes in recompute footprints. The Radiometry mode attempts to create a contour around the data values of the image. The system essentially creates a mask of data and no data values and then extracts the boundary. This can become very complex on some datasets. It may be that the valid data range values you are defining are incorrect resulting in no valid data values and so no contour can be generated. Try different valid data range values. The other mode is geometry. This should work and will reset the footprints to the extents of the image based on transforming the location of pixel along the edge of the image (or 4 corner pixels) to ground units. If this does not work not then the only error I can think of is that the images that you are adding are not displayable in the projection of the mosaic dataset. Best then to check by adding the rasters directly to ArcMap (after adding the mosaic dataset) to see if the image display in the correct location.
0 Kudos
PhilipHughes
New Contributor III
Thanks for the help,  converting to Geometry now runs through without any issue.  I know get an error when building overiews.  The error reads Error 80042019 could not build mosaic dataset.

The mosaic is made up of over 2000 Pleiades Tif files,  all the files open in arcmap with no problem.  They are all in the same projection.  Same bit level.
0 Kudos