Error: FDO_E_VERSION_REDEFINED .....

04-23-2019 09:16 AM
PSAQATAR
New Contributor II

From time to time getting this error from the AGS Log,

" RequestId: 15112 4/23/2019 6:29:19 PM 7a59b848-7642-4aa1-9c41-ac2adf9d711d Error: FDO_E_VERSION_REDEFINED. The version has been redefined to reference a new database state.. Made 19 failed attempt(s) to reconcile and save edits. Performing StopEditing (without save).FDO_E_VERSION_REDEFINED. The version has been redefined to reference a new database state "

SCENARIO :  Web Editing .. 25-35 concurrent users edit Default Version SDE.DEFAULT

Basically adding Points and sometime Deleting.

Database : Oracle

AGS : ArcGIS Server 10.5.1

RESULT:  Cannot save anymore.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PSAQATAR
New Contributor II

.. additional info.

work is divided per zone and per user.   application was designed to restrict by these two parameters.

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Alanood,

This is an expected behavior and by design. When any editor starts editing in Default version, application creates a temporary child version of it with same state_id of Default version.When editor saves, that temporary child version does an implicit reconcile and post to Default version and Default version moved or point to new state_id. Now Default version state_id is changed. 

As per your workflow, you have 25 concurrent users are editing "Default" version. Hence you find that state of the Default version is different for editors as Default is modified from saving updates from another editor and observed the below warning message:

"The version has been redefined to reference a new database state"

You can bypass this warning message by enabling autoreconciliation on the ArcMap Options dialog box.

Here are the web helps to explain "Editing Default version workflow" better:

1. http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/sdk/arcsde/concepts/versioning/editingworkflows/direct.ht...

2. http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/geodatabases/version-scenarios.htm

The below content copied from 2nd web help link:

Concurrent editing of the published database

Many users can edit the same version simultaneously, so the simplest way to support multiuser editing is for many editors to directly edit the DEFAULT version.

Concurrent editing of the DEFAULT

As each editor starts editing the DEFAULT version, an unnamed, temporary version is automatically created in the edit session. This temporary version is accessible only to the current editor. When the editor saves his or her work or ends the edit session, the changes recorded in the temporary version are posted to the DEFAULT version.

If another user has edited the DEFAULT version since you've started editing, when you save your work, ArcGIS automatically reconciles and posts the changes. You are notified that the version has been changed and must save again to accept the changes made by other editors. You can bypass this warning message by enabling autoreconciliation on the ArcMap Options dialog box. Whether or not you bypass this message, if there are conflicts, you must resolve them with the conflict resolution dialog box before you can successfully save your edits.

Thanks,

Biraja

PSAQATAR
New Contributor II

Dear Biraja,

Sorry, but I did mention I am using ArcGIS Server ( AGS ) , means we are editing thru a web application via a feature service.  The error message I sent was from the ArcGIS log.  Production stopped because when this error occurs, they can not save or the application simply hangs.  Also, Feature service was configured to move edits to base because an Operation Dashboard is use to monitor production work.

Is there a way to remedy besides creating a named version for each 35 users ?

Much obliged 🙂

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Alanood,

Are you using "offline editing" capabilities  of Feature access service. If not,  then this will be recommended option for your workflow. You mentioned that you are using application to update data. Is this application created using java script API or ArcGIS Runtime or  how this application created. Please clarify.

Other option may be to coordinate between editors so that while saving changes nobody should overlap with other which means at a given time, only one editor is saving the data changes. 

Thanks,

Biraja 

0 Kudos
PSAQATAR
New Contributor II

Hi Biraja,

No Biraja, we are not using "offline editing" capabilities of the Feature service.

We are using java script API .

Coordinating 25-35 concurrent users maybe a daunting task but we will try.

Thank you so much for your time.

0 Kudos
SH013
by
New Contributor III

Hi there,

We are also having this issue: Error: FDO_E_VERSION_REDEFINED. The version has been redefined to reference a new database state.. Made 19 failed attempt(s) to reconcile and save edits. Performing StopEditing (without save). The problem is the editing of users via web services (Feature services in particular and through Collector for ArcGIS)

I suspect the same that it may be to do with too many users editing concurrently to the default state. My question then is how can I resolve this problem? I also noticed a bug similar to the issue without a solution below:

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExNDc4MA==

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Sam,

Please contact Esri Support Services for the mentioned bug to find out status.

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
SH013
by
New Contributor III

Hi Biraja,

I have contacted support only to find out that there is no solution on this. If you up the bug, it does not have an alternate solution to address this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon1
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

The workaround I use was to Compress and Rebuild every hour depending perhaps how many concurrent users you have.  We have at least 30 concurrent users.  I run them both as a Task and in Task scheduler.  @ 30 concurrent users every hour is required.

If time is in your side, creating a named user I think is a better option.  Though you have to go thru the process of posting and reconciliation.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos