Edit Repeats in [Inbox] Survey123

Jump to solution
07-07-2019 06:42 AM
egyptgas
New Contributor II

Dears,

I am struggling for a while now, trying to edit Repeat questions in the Inbox of my survey.

The answers are all not editable [Dimmed] [Greyed] so I cannot edit any answer if it is in the Repeat.

While I can still edit answers if its not inside the Repeat.

I used [query allowupdates=true] in [bind::esri:parameters] column on beginrepeat row.

james tedrick philip wilson ismael chivite

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

egypt gas‌,

1) Please insure you have allowUpdates=true (case sensitive with no spaces) in the bind::esri:parameters for the repeat you are trying to edit in your XLSForm.  If you need to include a query statement such as allowUpdates=true query="Editor='MyName'" make sure there is a space between the key value pairs. The query parameter is optional.  Make sure to refresh your survey in the Survey123 App for the changes to show after republishing.  See Prepare for editing existing survey data for additional info.

parameter

2) When was your survey published and how was it published?  If using Survey123 Connect,  what version?  There have been recent changes (June 2019)  to the editing ability of Surveys and if your survey was published before this time or using an older version of Survey123 Connect may be your issue.

A quick check:

• go to https://survey123.arcgis.com and logon   
  • Navigate to "My Surveys"
  • Hover over the pencil/designer button for the survey in question and click
  • Go to Settings/Version Tab
  • This will display the version the survey was published - 3.0 in the sample below
  • Select "Always use the latest version" - currently 3.5
  • Click Save
  • Test your survey now

Survey123 Version

If this works, try downloading and installing he most recent version of Survey123 Connect and/or republish your survey.  You can just use the option noted above, but if your survey is large it may be slow to load.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

egypt gas‌,

1) Please insure you have allowUpdates=true (case sensitive with no spaces) in the bind::esri:parameters for the repeat you are trying to edit in your XLSForm.  If you need to include a query statement such as allowUpdates=true query="Editor='MyName'" make sure there is a space between the key value pairs. The query parameter is optional.  Make sure to refresh your survey in the Survey123 App for the changes to show after republishing.  See Prepare for editing existing survey data for additional info.

parameter

2) When was your survey published and how was it published?  If using Survey123 Connect,  what version?  There have been recent changes (June 2019)  to the editing ability of Surveys and if your survey was published before this time or using an older version of Survey123 Connect may be your issue.

A quick check:

• go to https://survey123.arcgis.com and logon   
  • Navigate to "My Surveys"
  • Hover over the pencil/designer button for the survey in question and click
  • Go to Settings/Version Tab
  • This will display the version the survey was published - 3.0 in the sample below
  • Select "Always use the latest version" - currently 3.5
  • Click Save
  • Test your survey now

Survey123 Version

If this works, try downloading and installing he most recent version of Survey123 Connect and/or republish your survey.  You can just use the option noted above, but if your survey is large it may be slow to load.

egyptgas
New Contributor II

Lance Thanks for the prompt response,

Actually I am using SurveyConnect & fieldapp version 3.5.x.

Also I checked using [Always use latest version] in MySurveys.

When I use allowUpdates=True without the query parameter it doesnot work at all.

I made sure that [query allowUpdates=True] is retrieving the answers but [Greyed] so I cannot edit.

I publish the survey from connect >> download survey in fieldapp >> collect answer and submit >> refresh inbox Tab in fieldapp >> retrieve answers [some are editable and some are not as noted in the pictures].

I need to know if it is allowable to edit repeats [relatedTables] retrieved from inbox or not ?

BTW I am following the steps mentioned here https://community.esri.com/thread/204276-repeat-questions-in-inbox-not-showing but still cannot edit the repeat answers.

0 Kudos
egyptgas
New Contributor II

LANCE, 

It worked. I think it just needed a refresh for the survey and a republish.. 

Thanks 

AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

I was dealing with a similar problem, and the only thing that made it work was to put "allowUpdates=true query" in the bind::esri:parameters column. (in the "begin repeat" row.)