Leica Zeno 20 GPS not compatible with TLS 1.2 update

04-19-2019 01:43 PM
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

The Leica Zeno 20 GPS can no longer run Collector app following the TLS 1.2 update. Esri has been working closely with Leica for the past several months, but as far as I know there is no timeline yet for a solution. I am hoping to use this discussion to connect with other Zeno 20 users who are experiencing this and to pool our knowledge and the latest updates here.

47 Replies
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

Gene,

I had the same problem after configuring my device using the same instructions. I assumed it was unrelated to the reconfiguration, but perhaps it is. I deleted our custom Location Profile in Collector and re-created it. After doing that the maps loaded again.

-Veronica

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Leica's proxy is working pretty well so far but I'm running into one issue. I can no longer upload Zeno Mobile projects to dropbox so I have to drop them onto a thumb drive. I wonder if anyone else has run into this and found a solution.

Update: I figured it out. There's a proxy bypass setting where you can bypass the proxy for specified sites. I added dropbox.com to the bypass and now it works.

0 Kudos
GeneSipes1
New Contributor III

Cannot connect to my RTK subscription while using the Leica/Collector proxy. I successfully connected to AGOL though the proxy and downloaded a Collector Map. I then tried to connect to my RTK subscripton via 3G data service but couldn't connect. So I removed the APN proxy name and port from the mobile service, and was able to access the RTK subscription, BUT I now cannot access the map I downloaded because I am off of the proxy. Has anyone figured a way around this? Is anyone using an RTK subscription on the Leica Zeno 20 with cell data service and proxy? Has anyone burned, destroyed, or returned their units to the Leica rep yet?

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Maybe Leica can whitelist the url for your rtk subscription on their proxy? I'm having my rtk connection on the zeno drop in and out every half minute or so but I'm running a mifi because no carrier will activate the zeno's 3g modem. I've asked Leica about returning the zeno. They just didn't an answer. I guess I'm supposed to take that as a "No".

You can also try bypassing the proxy for your RTK service URL by adding it in the proxy network settings. That way, it should go through the default rather than the proxy. I had to do that for dropbox.com in order for it to work. See photo attached.

0 Kudos
GeneSipes1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the tip. Do you know how to bypass urls on the Android kit kat version, and can you get me started in the right direction? Yeah this has been so much fun. We bought 5 of these back in January, and they have been nothing more than paper weights at this point. 

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Update: We tried to get his going but couldn't because you can modify a wifi network to use a proxy but not the onboard modem. In other words, if you're lucky enough to have gotten the old school 3G modem registered with a carrier then there's no way to then configure the zeno to use the proxy. Catch 22. 

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Any word on a patch?

0 Kudos
JoeRobinson
New Contributor II

I was informed yesterday by the GIS Sales and Support manager for Leica that there will not be a permanent fix for the Zeno 20 because they have exhausted all avenues to upgrade the OS and none are economically feasible. They are going to try to provide the proxy for as long as they can. They said that there will be a new security release by ESRI next year that will likely end the current proxy option all together. Sounds like Collector may no longer run on the Zeno once this happens. Might want to budget for another system for 2020 if you are using Collector on the Leica Zenos. For the high cost of these units, it would have been nice to continue to use them as they were advertised...to work with Collector for ArcGIS. 

Has anyone tried the EOS Arrow systems? I have heard really good things about their customer service and they look like solid units. 

0 Kudos
JasonHooten1
New Contributor II

Joe,

We have been making every feasible effort to keep Esri Collector functional on the Zeno 20. The Zeno 20 is still quite capable with our Zeno Mobile software. Our GG04plus is a premier Smart Antenna and has been and will continue to be an option for users to consider migrating to away from the Zeno 20 if desired. The GG04plus is iOS, Android, and Windows compatible allowing for BYOD configuration and use with Esri Collector or other third party applications. I happy to discuss trade in options towards the GG04plus or simply discounted GG04plus and Zeno Mobile sw for the Zeno 20 so you can still get use from your initial investment. Unlike the EOS, the GG04plus is fully integrated and does not utilize the old design of a box with a cabled antenna on an external groundplane. The Zeno 20 is an older device, out since early 2015. The GG04plus is very new to the market; very well received; and extremely capable.  

0 Kudos
JoeRobinson
New Contributor II

We purchased a GG04 a few months back when Collector stopped working on our 8 Zeno 20 devices. We have been very pleased with this antenna, it has been very reliable and capable. The price point is also what has drawn us to the EOS Arrow. I am certainly interested in talking trade in dollars for the Zenos to potentially purchase more GG04 units. Zeno Mobile could be an option, but we too would need the capability to edit related tables, add attachments, and filter layers. Collector has served our organization well for providing these capabilities. I will get in touch with you soon to talk possible trade in credit. Thanks!

0 Kudos