Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
MarkWoodruff1
New Contributor II

Hi Paul, looks like you and I have pretty much the same skillset. I’m will to collaborate with you often in hopes that our collaboration would lead to both our successes. Thanks

R/Mark

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

HI Paul, Welcome to GeoNet!! I hope you find the community a helpful resource as you transition into your new role! 

Here are a few places that might help:

ArcGIS Pro

Water Utilities

Esri Training

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
DavidWard4
New Contributor II

My name is David Ward and been using GIS since early 1990's.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
    My day job is with Loudoun County government in northern Virginia where I focus on floodplain management, water resources and watershed management using Desktop and AGOL.  My private business is groundwater modeling with GIS interface and also maintain a comprehensive commercially available cell tower (towermaps.com). For fun I have supported citizen scientist in stream monitoring.
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
    In past few years I received overwhelmingly positive response to Story Maps of stream health monitoring maps.  This past year the biggest success has been colloborative efforts to share between local county government and contractor on watershed management.  We were able to maintain geodatabases of land access permission letters, field assessment (stream walks and hot spot identification), watershed improvement project mapping with photos and field sketches with inouts from both parties operating out of multiple offices.
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?
    I have significant GIS-related in surface and subsurface water environments and an aptitude towards automation via programming. I cut my teeth on punched cards using Fortran (and still program today) and have been able to apply Python skills to aid in GIS data management. My goals is to bring hydro data into hydro understanding through graphical, location based presentation.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi David, Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find the community a helpful resource, and I also see you have a wealth of experience to share with others! 

Here are a few places you might find interesting:

ArcGIS Online

Water Utilities

Hydro

ArcGIS StoryMaps Beta

Python

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
RichardLott
New Contributor II

Richard at the 2018 Geta Fest Covington Kentucky

Where do you work and what is your role? 

Hello Everyone,

I am Richard J. Lott and I live in Ohio, USA and I am the County Planner for the Jefferson County Regional Planning Commission. I am responsible for all current “day to day” planning and grant activities, including mapping, zoning, development and project reviews. In addition, preparing corridor studies, Comprehensive plans, focal point plans, and other projects which may require GIS mapping.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

Recently I have used ArcMap to create some maps that show the Low to Moderate Areas and Incomes within Jefferson county and its communities.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I am really new to GIS and as such my experience is very limited. I am hoping to expand my ability to use GIS and have been taking the online courses to increase that knowledge.

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

41*37’ 45.03”N 82* 50’ 28.75” W Elevation 592ft

South Bass Island light house with my wife having a picnic basket and watching the waves, the ships, and the boats till the sun goes down.

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Richard, Welcome to GeoNet, The Esri Community!  We are happy you joined us and hope you find this a helpful place to expand your GIS knowledge. Here are a few places that might help get you started:

New to GIS

Learn ArcGIS

Esri Training

Urban and Regional Planning

Cheers, 

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
RichardLott
New Contributor II

Thank you

0 Kudos
ClementAmuquandoh
New Contributor

Hi I am Clement 

Where do I work and what is your role?

Am a student at the University of Cape Coast in Ghana, reading geography and regional planning.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

• My success story about GIS is completing a GIS research project I and my team were tasked with, that was to map noise pollution on campus using ArcGIS and also completing my first degree in geography and regional planning at the University Of Cape Coast. 

What is your expertise (GIS related or not) and how can that help the community?

•  Not an expert yet but I will like to specialize in environmental, disaster management and any other field which seems interesting to me.

My favourite place on the planet is set at 25° 15′ 47″ N, 55° 17′ 50″ E

WilliamTarpai
New Contributor III

Welcome Clement,

I wanted to say hello from Riverside, California. We have a sister-city in

Obuasi so I try to network with people from Ghana, especially those with

GIS skills working in development. Keep up the good works. William Tarpai

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello Clement, Welcome to GeoNet, the Esri Community! I hope you find people to connect with and helpful resources here! There are a few places that might be of interest to get you started on your GIS journey:

Education

GIS Jobs

Natural Resources

Society for Conservation GIS (SCGIS)

Cheers and good luck with your studies!

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos