Using ArcGIS for AutoCAD to access ArcGIS Online data

12-08-2017 04:35 PM
JonBokic
New Contributor

Our company has an ArcGIS online account we use to enter data from the field, via Collector, and to integrate with our GIS environment. What we would like to do is also access this information, and other webmap services created in ArcGIS Online, from our CAD environment (specifically AutoCAD/Map 3D/Civil 3D). We did try going through technical support and seeing if this could be accessed using ArcGIS for AutoCAD but it doesn't have the capability (Esri Case #01996591). Is this something that could be easily added to in the future?

21 Replies
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

It's pretty slick.  I think you'll like it.  We'll be showing it off at the User Conference in San Diego.  Should be available for download shortly after, actual date not yet determined.

GD
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Karen, this is great news!

Just to be clear, we should be able to read and edit ArcGIS online feature layers from ArcGIS for AutoCAD when this new release comes out?

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

Yes Maryse.  With the next release of ArcGIS for AutoCAD, you'll be able to connect to ArcGIS Online (or your enterprise portal) and add feature layers published there.  

0 Kudos
GD
by
New Contributor II

I understand we will be able to add feature layers to AutoCAD, but will we be able to edit and publish modifications back to ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

Ahh...I see your confusion!  Yes...you'll be able to "add" the feature layer into your AutoCAD drawing.  If the layer supports editing, then you'll be able to modify the geometry or the attributes within AutoCAD and synchronize your changes back to the web feature layer.  If the publisher of the layer doesn't allow editing, you'll still be able to see the geometry and attributes, but won't be able to synchronize any changes.

In either case, you'll also be able to extract the information...so you'll have a local snapshot of the information from the layer at a specific point in time.

GD
by
New Contributor II

Fantastic!  What type of ArcGIS Online licence will be needed in order to synchronize changes to ArcGIS online from AutoCAD?  Will AGOL Editor be sufficient?

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

Yes.  That will be fine!

0 Kudos
GD
by
New Contributor II

Hi Karen

Do you have any idea when the plugin should be coming out?

I think the user conference ended a few weeks ago...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

We're still working on it.  Looks like later in the fall.  No concrete dates yet.

DanielArsenault
New Contributor III

Any updates on this release?