Creating Reports in Pro

06-02-2017 01:10 PM
AlyciaRajendran_esri
Esri Contributor

The Pro team is excited to begin work on Reports for a future release. We would love to get some input as to what our users' needs are in regards to functionality and appearance. If you frequently make reports and would like to send us a sanitized (no sensitive data) report, please email arajendran@esri.com.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

61 Replies
ElioSpinello
New Contributor II

Particularly on the footer, it would be helpful for aggregated fields to be labeled based upon their alias rather than the field name. For example:  "Total Population (mean):  123,456" instead of "tpop (mean): 123,456"

ElioSpinello
New Contributor II

As far as the UI I would think a checkbox asking whether labels or alias' are preferred, appearing on maybe the first or second screen of the report wizard.

AlyciaRajendran_esri
Esri Contributor

Hi Elio,

This is a fantastic idea and my team agrees. We have added an issue for it internally. Thank you for the UI suggestion as well!

Alycia

ElioSpinello
New Contributor II

Thanks!

ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

I've been playing around with the new Report functionality in Pro. I'm used to building reports in SQL Server Reporting Services so maybe I am just expecting too much in Pro, but it seems like there are very minimal options for being able to customize the report. 

Maybe I am missing something, but is there no way to have the report details (attributes) boxes grow or shrink based on the amount of text? For example, my report links to a feature class that has a narrative field. Sometimes the narrative is a lengthy description of an incident (a few paragraphs), sometimes not (single line description). How can I ensure that the report text boxes grow/shrink appropriately? If I make the text box in the Details section really big, then I can assume most of the lengthy narratives will all be shown. However, I can't guarantee a really really long description would display. Doing this also makes the report have a ton of unnecessary white space for the records that have minimal text and makes the report look really silly. I guess I'm looking for something more "responsive" that can grow/shrink based on the data. 

Another question/comment is: when I was creating the report, I checked the boxes for the majority of fields in my data set to be shown on the report (17 fields). The report generated with only 6 fields displaying, and some extra space where more could have been added. Is 6 the max? It looks like I can copy/paste new fields into the report, but this is also pretty clunky to do. 

Lastly - is there a way to add a Map to the report? It would be nice if a map in my Pro Project displayed on the Report Cover page underneath the title. This way someone could look at the map (I'm envisioning having point locations labeled 1-N on the map) and then see the details for each location in the report. 

0 Kudos
AlyciaRajendran_esri
Esri Contributor

My background is using SSRS as well-you are definitely expecting too much for the first release of reports in Pro :). Here are some responses to your questions.

Growing/shrinking rows in the Details section: this is definitely something we want to include in the future. I've added this as an item to our backlog.

The amount of fields generated on creation: six is the default for the first release, with the ability to add additional fields by copying and pasting from the Contents pane or view (as you have already identified). Another way to add fields is using the Insert tab > Data group > Field button. You must have a section activated or else this button is disabled. We did this to "autofit" in a default way. In the near-term, we will be giving our users more control over what and how report elements are added during the initial creation process.

Maps: We all agree, maps have to be in reports. We are working on a way to make this process as simple and clear as possible--it's coming!

Please never hesitate to reach out! My email address is in the original post.

Thanks,

Alycia

0 Kudos
RedRiverPlanningGIS_Admin
New Contributor II

Hi Alycia,

Did you see my post ArcGIS Pro Report with Related Data, we had to stay with ArcMap for the functionality but would love to be fully functional in ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks,

Cassandra

0 Kudos
AlyciaRajendran_esri
Esri Contributor

Thanks for showing me! I'll be sure to comment there, but using related data and relationship classes in a Pro report is in our near-term product plan.

- Alycia

0 Kudos
GerardoGarcía_López_de_Andújar
New Contributor II

Hi Alycia, can you advance us when we expect this release that will include related data and relationship classes?

Thanks!

Gerardo

0 Kudos
AlyciaRajendran_esri
Esri Contributor

Hi Gerardo!

Sorry for the delay. "Near-term" means in the next 1-3 releases. I can confirm that they will not be available in Pro 2.5.

- Alycia

0 Kudos