How do you build a network dataset in ArcPRO 3.2.1?

05-30-2019 11:24 AM
PaulRabatin1
New Contributor II

Woops meant ArcPRO 2.2.1

I Have a simple road layer, feature class, I'm trying to make a network dataset in ArcPRO and i have the network analyst extension on.  In arcMAP 10.5.1 you click on file geodb then right click select NEW>Network dataset  then load a transpo layer and select build Network....I don't see the tools or ability to do that in ArcPRO...?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

We have not yet implemented the ability to create network datasets from scratch in ArcGIS Pro (as of Pro 2.4, releasing soon).  For now, you must still use ArcMap to create the network dataset.  We are aware of this gap and are working toward providing this ability in future releases.

If you have an existing network dataset and you want to create another one using the same schema, you can use the Create Template From Network Dataset and Create Network Dataset From Template tools to do so in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
RobbynAbbitt
New Contributor III

Hello - I see that in 2.5 there is now a Create Network Dataset tool.  Does this tool replicate the functionality of the ArcMap network dataset creation tools?  Or do you still recommend using ArcMap to create robust travel networks?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The ability to create a network dataset from scratch was added in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 with the Create Network Dataset tool.  This tool creates a "blank" or "default" network dataset.  You can then customize the properties of the network dataset using the network dataset property pages.  The only thing you cannot yet do is create a new network dataset that includes live or historical traffic.  If you need traffic, you still need to use ArcMap.

0 Kudos