Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
Matthew_Monk
New Contributor

Hi GeoNet community, 

My name is Matthew Monk. I am a PhD student at the University of Delaware. I am a lost humanities student attempting to dip his toes in to the pool of GIS and digital humanities work. My work focuses on material culture studies, the history of technology and industry, and American History from 1790-1860. 

I am working on a Material Culture Theory class project. We are working on mapping museum sites around the world that have Crow objects in their collections. We have all of our data gathered, and I have been tasked with turning spreadsheets into visually pleasing and useable information. This is the beginnings of a digital repatriation project that we will be handing over the Little Big Horn College in Crow Agency, Montana in the upcoming months. This project has been an opportunity for us to conduct some initial research and give us some experience with digital platforms. I am very excited to roll up my sleeves and learn a lot! I am very grateful that this community of users and experts exists. I am sure I will be leaning heavily on your advice and knowledge in the upcoming weeks.

Best, 

Matthew Monk

PhD Student, UNIDEL Graduate Scholar

History of American Civilization

Department of History 

University of Delaware

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Matthew, Welcome to GeoNet! Welcome to GeoNet and the world of GIS! I hope you find the community helpful as you work through your mapping project!  Here are a couple of places that might help you along:

New to GIS

Education

Esri Training

Story Maps

Best of luck to you!! 

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
MarkDaker
New Contributor II

Where do you work and what is your role?

Hi, I'm Mark Daker. I work for the City of Salisbury, South Australia as an Analyst Urban Planning within the Economic Development and Urban Policy team. My role is to research and utilise spatial datasets to formulate outcomes for strategic planning policies and the promotion of economic development within the council area.

I have recently submitted my PhD thesis for examination which investigated Public open space supply and associations with population health in metropolitan Adelaide. 

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

Switching over from ArcGIS 10.6 to ArcGIS Pro, a bit of a learning curve. Now working on the development of Operation dashboards, a totally new area for me but I relish a challenge as there are elements in the processes which defy logic - table legends that insist on converting into alphabetical order when I don't want them to be.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Cartography and the recognition of appropriate dataset selection to answer research objectives subjectively.

48.8566° N  2.3522° E. lived in the region for nearly five years

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Mark, Welcome to the GeoNet Community! Congrats on the PhD submission! Here are a few places in the community you might find useful, interesting:

Spatial Analyst

ArcGIS Pro

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Urban and Regional Planning

May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Paris is also one of my favorite places, I had a family member living there for just over five years and had many opportunities to visit the city and surrounding regions! 

Michelle Mathias
MarkWuuu
New Contributor

Hi, I'm Mark Wu,  from Taiwan. I studied at UC Riverside, I had visited ESRI headquarter in 1984. I am a retired cartography professor. I know ArcInfo since 1988. I also know some other important soft wares for cartographic production as well as reproduction. I finished about 20,000 maps, 7 printed Atlases, and 13 flip atlases in my life. ArcGIS is my major "weapon" to finish my jobs, but I still need to have some other tools to make my job easier and better. I retired 10 years ago, but I still work on my other atlases.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

Since the full color atlas is very expensive to print. Therefore I decide to finish my atlas in flip book, For this year I finished 13 flip atlases. As I mentioned before I like to incorporate some major soft wares with ArcGIS to finished my jobs.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I was trained as a traditional cartographer with hand drawing techniques in 70's. I switched to computer aided cartography in 80's. I became a professional cartographer and a professor of cartography in my University, National Taiwan Normal University.

25.0256444° N  121.13268° E. After I retired, I moved from Taipei City to Taoyuan City for about 10 years.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Mark, Welcome to GeoNet!  Amazing experience and knowledge of Esri products!  I hope you find our community helpful and resourceful as you continue your GIS journey!

Here are a couple of interesting places about cartography in the community:

Cartography and Maps

May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
RobinDiSalvo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi, my name is Robin DiSalvo from sunny Tampa, FL and I work as a Market Research Anaylst at the Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation.  I am responsible for everything dealing with the market changes such as population, income, industry job gains/losses, cost of living collection data for the Tampa MSA, maintaining our GIS real estate properties (commercial and industrial), creating dashboards using infographics and maps, monthly housing construction/permits, poverty rate trends, etc.

Since going to Windows 8 I lost Mappoint which is not supported by Windows 8 and just purchased ArcGIS Online and this is brand new to me so I have been learning on own until I found this group.  

I would love to be able to create local zip code county maps and metro maps in our RFI's to include the population drivetimes, commute to work, where the high versus low cost housing is located, distressed maps by census tracts and tie in the infographics.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Robin, Welcome to the GeoNet Community and to Esri software!  I hope you are finding the community helpful as a new user.  We have lots of really smart and friendly people connecting and collaborating in our community so it is a great place to learn and ask questions, find solutions.  Here are a couple of places of interest to get you started:

ArcGIS Online

Esri Training

Education

Product Communities

If there is anything specific I can help you find, let me know!

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
JenifferSoto_Perez
New Contributor II

Hello! My name is Jeniffer Soto from Sacramento, CA. I'm currently working for the California Water Science Center at the USGS. My role is to analyze, map, and generate prediction surfaces for water quality data along the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta in collaboration with the Biogeochemistry group. 

I took my first and only GIS class during the Spring of 2018, which was my last semester as an undergraduate, and I'm already working and using those skills. We successfully worked on a methodology that allows us to compare interpolation methods of high-frequency mapping data between three months to produce difference maps with the same spatial reference. I was able to do this in ArcMap, and I have gained more experience in ArcGIS Pro. I have a Bachelor of Science in Geology, but I'm starting to consider a Masters as a Geospatial Analyst because I enjoy it so much.

My side hustle is Photography and Studio Art, so I have knowledge in design and the Adobe suite of programs. I'm interested in making visually appealing maps that are scientifically sound. (I'm sure that's what we all want, don't hesitate to ask me about information design).

I have a long way to go in the GIS world, so I'm here to absorb some of the great knowledge people are willing to share.

48.8566° N, 2.3522° E - I'm hoping to one day move to France. I still need to work on my French.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Jeniffer, Welcome to the GeoNet Community! So happy to hear how much you are enjoying GIS, it is a fascinating field of study for sure! I hope you find helpful resources within our community. If you need help locating anything, let me know and I can guide you.  Here are a few places that might interest you:

Story Maps

ArcGIS Pro

Product Communities

As I mentioned above to Mark, Paris is one of my all time favorite cities, I hope you get to fulfill your dream of moving to France one day, best of luck!!

Michelle Mathias