Portal for ArcGIS upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.7 failed

04-25-2019 02:57 AM
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

I faced an error while upgrading from Portal for ArcGIS 10.6.1 to Portal for ArcGIS 10.7.

The following error occurred during the upgrade:

Digging into the log in C:\arcgisportal\logs\FQDN\portal, I noticed the following error:

<Msg time="2019-04-25T10:19:54,94" type="INFO" code="209081" source="Portal Admin" process="3436" thread="1" methodName="" machine="FQDN" user="" elapsed="" requestID="">Postgres DB upgrade response

could not open version file: C:\arcgisportal\db/PG_VERSION

Failure, exiting

.</Msg>

As you can noticed, there is a mix of backslash and forwardslash as the file does exist in C:\arcgisportal\db\PG_VERSION but of course C:\arcgisportal\db/PG_VERSION is not a correct path.

Operating System details: Windows Server 2016 Standard

Any idea ?

Thanks

21 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Set a path filter for C:\arcgisportal\db so any file based traffic to that directory is logged. If ProcMon records an error indicating that the path doesn't exist, but you can confirm manually that it does, then that could be the problem.

Windows itself shouldn't have a problem with slashes, it can sort out that C:/test is actually C:\test, for example. Linux is different, of course.

If the code has a problem with that, then that's another story.

NicolasGIS

OK Thanks. I will give a try and let know you the results 

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Do you mean region by locals ? 

0 Kudos
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator

Hello Nicolas GIS‌! It looks like you would benefit from taking this issue over to Esri Technical Support, so that we can have a deeper investigation and troubleshooting with the help of our analysts there. 

If you need some assistance with getting a case created, let me know and I'll be happy to assist. 

0 Kudos
AndrewBartshire
New Contributor II

I just had the same issue but going from 10.6 to 10.7. After hours with tech support it looks like the issue may have been related to "built-in" Portal PostgreSQL DB error that may have happened during initial installation. We run a "external" PostgreSQL 9.6 DB as as a managed EGDB but apparently during the install something went wrong and the "external" DB was acting in place of the "built-in" which didn't present issues until upgrade time. The solution so far has been to completely uninstall Portal rather than upgrade and copy back all settings, content, etc. 

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There should be no conflict with running your own instance of PG on the same machine as Portal. They run on different ports, have different data directories, etc. Was the analyst able to reproduce the problem and log a bug?

0 Kudos
AndrewBartshire
New Contributor II

The issue wasn't that they couldn't both run, but that there was an issue somewhere along the way so the internal Portal DB wasn't operating. When Portal service is enabled the corresponding PG services that spin up were from the external PG, not from internal. This was identified through task manager displaying the datastore PG services displaying normally but none from portal. 

0 Kudos
LorenzMeyer1
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I ran into this issue yesterday evening again. I have no idea why. I opened once an Esri case "Case #02409929" in September this year (Esri Germany). Afterwards I could not reproduce the error again until now.

We plan to migrate our production environment in January 2020 and yesterday I did a dry run to migrate portal to new machines and to upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1. 

The error message at the top points me as well to the logs in "C:\arcgisportal\logs" but we did not even install to c:\arcgisportal, our directory is d:\arcgisportal\logs and in there I could not find any logs from the "upgrade" failure.

Have you more information what the upgrade failure could trigger or how I could work around?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LorenzMeyer1
Occasional Contributor

I've opened a new Esri case "Esri Case #02454529 - ArcGIS Enterprise - Portal Upgrade 10.6.1 to 10.7.1" with all the logs found so far.

0 Kudos
BarbaraS
Occasional Contributor

Lorenz Meyer‌, how did you resolve the issue in the end? I tried to change my regional settings back, as described here by Antigoni but now I can't open the createadmin.html site anymore after I did a restart.

0 Kudos