How do I creating a basemap using my own *.PNG or *.TIFF files?

05-26-2015 12:55 PM
JosephGuzzardo
New Contributor II

How does one create a STATIC basemap (or STATIC layer) using ArcMap (Arc-GIS Pro/Desktop) using my very own *.TIFF or *.PNG files? 

And if I want to get really fancy, how do I the same, but create a LAYER to which I can tie ("clip"??? whatever???) to an existing "out-of-the-box" ERSI/Arc-GIS basemap using ARC-GIS Pro/Desktop's ArcMap?  Or, do I use another module other than ArcMAP?

These image files are NOT to be used for any dynamic fancy data analysis or anything else -- they are simply a basemap of existing surveys and county maps that I'd like to use as either:

a) a BASEMAP; and/or

b) a LAYER with some dimming or transparency as an overlay atop the "out-of-the-box" ERSI U.S. Roadmaps Basemap... 

NOTHING FANCY / NOTHING DEMOGRAPHICAL or ANALYTICAL -- JUST A STATIC LAYER! 

This has to be easier than spending ANOTHER 27 hours I've already spent reading the ARC-GIS manuals. 

20 Replies
HoracioMartinez
New Contributor

I think the answer is wrong. I mean, the question was How to use own TIFF to create a Basemap. That's a question that I also have. The answers were about how to georeference an image. I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

0 Kudos