Georeferencing LiDAR Point Cloud?

11-13-2018 10:18 AM
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

I have a 3D point cloud dataset created from terrestrial LiDAR. When I bring the dataset into ArcPro it displays at the 0,0 of the UTM zone. I would like to move the point cloud to its correct location. The point dataset is very dense and there are few key locations I can use as anchor points, but I can't seem to find any tools the move the location of LAS data. Is this possible to do in Arc Pro? Or does it need to be done in a LiDAR processing software

Thanks, 

Ben

Tags (2)
9 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Cody, 

I looked through the resourced and didn't see any topics relevant to my questions. Right now we are georeferencing in cloudcompare before bringing the data into arcpro. is there a better workflow?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Ben

I haven't received any lidar that lacks true earth coordinates; I thought the problem was that you had lost the coordinate system definition.   

Based on what you've said, I assume it's just using a local coordinate system?  If you have a solution based on Cloud Compare, I would continue with that.

Best wishes
Cody B

ShahlaYav
New Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

I have the same problem as you how did you solve your problem can you help me with that?

0 Kudos
jsfanjul
New Contributor

Hi!! I have the same problem too, @ShahlaYav @BenjaminMittler 

Have you been able to solve it?

Thanks, 

Jaime.

0 Kudos
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyBenkelman- I just talked to a customer that is having a similar issue and it's based on the fact that the source of the data is a terrestrial lidar scan. Any updates or options for georeferencing lidar?

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
0 Kudos
angeliapayne
New Contributor

Bumping this topic!  Georeferencing a large terrestrial LIDAR dataset in Cloud Compare is incredibly cumbersome.  Are there options in the pipeline for georeferencing terrestrial LIDAR in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
StephenAldrich
New Contributor II

Looks like you cannot do so in ArcGIS Pro at the moment (V3.0)

What I have done is take a terrestrial scan and used CloudCompare to do a cloud-to-cloud registration using a properly georeferenced point cloud generated from drone photos (and a lot of location confirmation on the ground using RTK GPS and a total station).

Lots of work, but the data are pretty good.

0 Kudos
ArmandFrançois
New Contributor III

I am facing the same issu and a solution would be very helpful

0 Kudos