No ArcGIS Geocoder Service Search Option

Jump to solution
04-24-2019 04:00 PM
deleted-user-oakGQEffnSqN
New Contributor II

A user just reported that they are unable to perform an Address Search using the Search Widget. The only thing he sees in the dropdown option is X/Y Provider. However, I see ArcGIS Geocoder Service on my machine, but it doesn't appear on his. The user is not logged in and doesn't have an ArcGIS account.

Is this expected behavior? Could it be that not having an account disables  ArcGIS Geocoder Service?

I am in the USA and am using version 1.9.

Thanks in advance for helping me on this.

Joseph

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Joseph,

XY provider is supported by ArcGIS Earth itself, so it can be used anytime in either connected or disconnected environment. "XY provider is used to search x,y coordinates entered in location units—for example, <longtitude>, <latitude>—even in a disconnected environment.”

However, the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service is from ArcGIS Online, by default, a user does not necessarily need an account to use it since ArcGIS Earth connects to AGOL automatically even if the user is not signed in. The chances that may cause the issue described above are:

1. The user is being blocked from ArcGIS Online by his/her admin in the organization. There is a parameter for admin's configuration named blockArcGISOnline, which blocks request and portal connection to ArcGIS Online when starting ArcGIS Earth.
  2. The user is using ArcGIS Earth under disconnected environment or behind a firewall where AGOL is restricted to use. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Mandy

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Joseph,

XY provider is supported by ArcGIS Earth itself, so it can be used anytime in either connected or disconnected environment. "XY provider is used to search x,y coordinates entered in location units—for example, <longtitude>, <latitude>—even in a disconnected environment.”

However, the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service is from ArcGIS Online, by default, a user does not necessarily need an account to use it since ArcGIS Earth connects to AGOL automatically even if the user is not signed in. The chances that may cause the issue described above are:

1. The user is being blocked from ArcGIS Online by his/her admin in the organization. There is a parameter for admin's configuration named blockArcGISOnline, which blocks request and portal connection to ArcGIS Online when starting ArcGIS Earth.
  2. The user is using ArcGIS Earth under disconnected environment or behind a firewall where AGOL is restricted to use. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Mandy