Capital Projects Dashboard : Feature Layers are Confusing!?

03-05-2018 09:17 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

Feature Layer : Infrastructure Projects

Summary : Infrastructure projects identified by project leads responsible for maintenance and improvement of public infrastructure.

Description : Infrastructure projects identified by project leads responsible for maintenance and improvement of public infrastructure.

Feature Layer : InfrastructureProjects_allfundedprojects

Summary : A public view of the InfrastructureProjects layer used by public works personnel to review all funded capital projects and revise those projects as they make their way through the construction life cycle.

Description : A public view of the InfrastructureProjects layer used by public works personnel to review all funded capital projects and revise those projects as they make their way through the construction life cycle.

I'm trying to figure out which layer to use, why to use it, and just get general directions on usage. I'm drawing a blank.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

Brian - 

Are you referring to the InfrastructureProjects_allfundedprojectspublic feature layer view?  Typically, the Configure Map topic will outline which layer, or feature layer view, to use.  May I ask, which solution are you trying to manually configure?  That will help me outline next steps for you.

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
SaraFrankenfeld
New Contributor III

I am very confused about this as well.  I'd like to deploy the Capital Project Plans and the Capital Project Dashboard.  I was able to get them set up in ArcGIS Online via the Capital Solutions Deployment Tool,  but I can't figure out how to get projects entered in the Plans to show up in the Dashboard?  Is there any more detailed documentation about the relationship between all these apps (project journals, project plans, project dashboard, project reports)?  I'm assuming they're all sharing data layers and an update in a layer in one app should update the view in the other apps, but I can't figure out how they're all related.  The documentation in the "Get Started" section did not provide enough information for me to set this up successfully and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks,

Sara

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sara,

Project Plans need to have the Funded field set to 'Yes' and Project Status set to 'Board Authorized' to show in the dashboard. The best application to set these is with the Capital Project Review application. To have projects show up in Capital Project Review you need to set the Project Status to "Analysis and Review".

Capital Project Plans was designed to be used by by project leads to organize new capital project plans and revise project information during the planning process. Capital Project Dashboard is designed to show projects that have been approved and funded. This is why the dashboard filters out projects that are still in the planning phase, planners will iterate on designs, update schedule and costs estimates, etc. When they are ready for review the status is updated to "Analysis and Review". In review, if approved a funding source and fiscal year will be set, before ultimately be marked as funded and approved.

I agree that the documentation here is lacking. We do have plans to include more documentation and potentially a learn lesson that describes how the applications work together and how a project plan moves through the process.

Regards,

-Chris

NorthSouthGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Where can I find the data dictionary for the layers in the Capital Project Dashboard Solution?

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

We don't have a data dictionary for the layers provided in the Solution. There is essentially one layer that stores all projects and their associated information. There is also a related table that stores comments made on the project. All other layers delivered with the Solution are views of this service to selectively show only the projects that meet certain criteria, like type or project phase. If you want to explore the fields provided in this layer you can see everything here on the Data tab of he InfrastructureProjects feature layer.

0 Kudos
NorthSouthGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Hi again Chris Fox,

I have just deployed the Capital Projects Dashboard to my organization. I have a couple questions:

1. I just attempted to load in some features with some basic attributes: Name, ID, Fiscal Year. I set the Funded Field to "Yes" and the Project Status to "Board Authorized" as you note above, but I still don't see any features in my dashboard. Are there any other fields I need to set? I see the view definition states: 
    All of these expressions must be true:
    Funded Project is 'Yes'
    Project Status is 'Board Authorized'
    Project Phase is not 'Complete'
    Removing the view definition resolved my issue, but I certainly had features meeting these requirements. Any thoughts?
  2. Is there an easy way to change the solution so it is reading the same data from an Enterprise database rather than in ArcGIS Online? Right now, the best approach I can see is to:
    1. Export the data to file geodatabase
    2. Add it to SDE and publish as a map service
    3. Replicate the hosted view with the map service
    4. Replace the layer in the web map feeding the dashboard? And then also reconfigure the entire dashboard?

I haven't gone down this path yet, but would love to know if there is a better way
  3. PS. When is that "better documentation" coming?
0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi NorthSouth GIS‌,

Looks like I missed one more thing, the Project Phase can't be null or Complete, any other option will show it in the Dashboard. I missed this one because in the project plans apps this Project Phase is automatically set.

In regards to using your Enterprise data your first 3 steps make sense. In step 4, I would use https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ to update the source layers in the web map. By doing this you can just swap out the URLs. If you do this you shouldn't have to reconfigure the dashboard.

We are planning to release a story map in our June release describing the entire solution and how projects move through the system to display in the different applications.

SaraFrankenfeld
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

Thank you - that is helpful information.  I think we're looking for something a bit simpler at this point, so I will just set up my own dashboard, but this is good to know.

Thanks,

Sara

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sara,

I would add that you don't have to use the other apps to set those values in the fields. That is the way the solution was designed, but if you just edit the InfrastructureProjects feature in a Web Map, Pro, etc. and set those values on the fields the features will show up in the Dashboard. So it is possible to just use the Dashboard and ignore the other apps if they are not required in your workflow.

0 Kudos