Editing experience in "new" ArcGIS Collector (iOS)

03-27-2019 05:59 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I've in the process of switching my user base over to the new iOS version of ArcGIS Collector. Some of the changes and improvements are excellent - ability to label features, directional arrows, auto sync etc etc are a real improvement. However, I think the user editing experience has gone backwards a long way, specifically for lines and polygons.

In the 'Classic' Collector, a line or polygon feature could be drawn on screen by tapping on screen for each of the feature vertices, and then saving the feature. However, in the new version, the user needs to pan the screen so that the vertex to be created is aligned with the centre cross hair, and then tap 'create point'. This is hugely inefficient and quite frustrating to use, especially if you're working in a moving vehicle or helicopter (as my user base generally are).

My question is - is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found yet that will revert this editing behavior to a more 'classic' editing experience?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

6 Replies
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I totally agree, hopefully someone has a workaround or knows more about why it was made to be so awkward.

0 Kudos
Mevs604
New Contributor II

Agreed. Despite the many improvement to the app our field staff are reporting that it now takes them longer to capture each feature. Their frustration is due to the new "cursor on target" method of collection. It actually requires more gestures from the user than before in order to digitize features.

0 Kudos
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Chelsea Rozek‌ and Mathew Evans

I've created a post on ideas.arcgis.com about exactly this issue - if you have an opportunity to review and upvote it would be great. 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16542 

Mathew Evans‌ - you don't happen to work for a public land management agency in Victoria do you?

Mevs604
New Contributor II

Anthony Cheesman‌ Thanks for doing that! I have up voted the idea and will encourage others to do so as well.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm tempted to just tell my users to keep using Classic. Wonder when it will no longer be offered in favor of everyone using the new version. I'll keep an eye on their life cycle chart: https://support.esri.com/en/Products/Apps/mobile-apps/collector-classic-ios/19-0-2#product-support

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Our Users also hate the new large and centered Update Point button.  We keep having users change a Attribute then tap Update Point - which then moves the point on us!  It should really say Update Point Location or something like that.  With Submit hidden way at the top right it seems to the user the only way to save.

I would personally hide that Update Point Location button down at the bottom or something also.  Changing a location should not be that easy.

0 Kudos