If editable is False, the user cannot select anything on the combobx python add-in

10-30-2013 10:08 AM
ionarawilson1
Occasional Contributor III
I have two comboboxes created with the python addin. The second combobox items are filtered by the selections on the first. I want them not to be able to type anything on the combobxes, but when I set the editable property to false, it does not let the user select anything, not even the items I defined for that combobox. This contradicts the documentation that says the editable property, the user can  choose from the options provided in the combo box. Do  you guys have any idea why this is happening and how I can change it?  Thank you!

import arcpy
import pythonaddins

class ComboBoxClass1(object):
    """Implementation for Comboboxes_addin.combobox (ComboBox)"""
    def __init__(self):
        self.items = ["Forestry", "OW", "Urban", "Fire", "ED/PR", "PD", "Media"]
        self.editable = False
        self.enabled = True
        self.dropdownWidth = 'WWWWWW'
        self.width = 'WWWWWW'
    def onSelChange(self, selection):
      if selection == "Forestry":

combobox_1.items = ["SP", "SPR", "MP", "AR", "ARO", "ATF", "ATN", "ACF", "TT", "RC", "RV", "AIR", "AP", "FHS", "FSU", "BMP"]
                combobox_1.value = combobox_1.items[0]
      elif selection == "OW":

combobox_1.items = ["AOS", "AO", "AIO", "PO", "TGO", "TRO"]
                 combobox_1.value = combobox_1.items[0]

def onEditChange(self, text):
        itemsarray = ["Forestry", "OW", "Urban", "Fire", "ED/PR", "PD", "Media"]
        if text not in itemsarray:

combobox_1.items = [" ", " ", "", " ", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", ""]
    def onFocus(self, focused):
        pass
    def onEnter(self):
        pass
    def refresh(self):
        pass

class ComboBoxClass2(object):
    """Implementation for Comboboxes_addin.combobox_1 (ComboBox)"""
    def __init__(self):
        self.items = [" ", " ", "", " ", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", ""]
        self.editable = True
        self.enabled = True
        self.dropdownWidth = 'WWWWWW'
        self.width = 'WWWWWW'
        self.refresh()
        self.refresh()
        pass
         self.refresh()
    def onEnter(self):
        pass
    def refresh(self):
        pass
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ionarawilson1
Occasional Contributor III
I added a refresh button and now it is letting me select it, and I can tell it is selecting it, because I can see the items on the second combobox changing, but right after I select it, the dropdown main focus windows appears empty, blank, like it is selecting but the item is not showing in the main window. If I drop drown the menu I can see all the items are there but they are not appearing in that little window when I select them. Anybody can help me with this? Thanks
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but here is a solution that allows a combo box to be editable so that the user chosen value appears in the combo box while still making sure that the final value entered by the user exactly matches an item from the items list before the combo box fully loses focus.  If the user typed any value that is a case insensitive match with any item in the items list the value will be converted to the fully case sensitive version of that item.  If the user leaves the combo box after entering any value that is not a case insensitive match to any of the items in the items list the combo box value will be set back to the last valid case sensitive value the user or the addin code entered into the combo box.

class cbxAccessTable(object):
    """Implementation for Capture_Coordinate_addin.cbxAccessTable (ComboBox)"""
    # initialize instance variables for a case insensitive dictionary of items and 
    # for the last valid value the user chose or typed that matched the items list
    def __init__(self):
        self.items = [u"tblTCDIActive", u"tblTCDIInactive"]
        self.upperDict = {i.upper():i for i in self.items}
        self.editable = True
        self.enabled = True
        self.dropdownWidth = 'tblTCDIInactiveWW'
        self.width = 'tblTCDIInactiveWW'
        self.value = self.items[0]
        self.oldValue = self.value
        pass
        pass
        if focused == False:
            if not self.value.upper() in self.upperDict:
                # The value entered by the user was not a case insensitive match
                # Prior to fully losing focus the combo box value is changed to the
                # last valid case sensitive value the user chose or entered
                self.value = self.oldValue
                self.refresh()
            else:
                # The value entered by the user was a case insensitive match
                # Prior to fully losing focus the combo box value is set to make sure 
                # the value exactly matches the case sensitive item in the items list
                self.value = self.upperDict[self.value.upper()]
                self.oldValue = self.value
                self.refresh()
        print("onFocus fired. focused = " + str(focused) + ". self.value = " + self.value + ". oldValue = " + self.oldValue)
        pass
    def onEnter(self):
        pass
    def refresh(self):
        pass‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

If I want to change the items list of this class from another control, I need to not only set both the cbxAccessTable.items and cbxAccessTable.value properties, but also the cbxAccessTable.upperDict property like this:

if selection == "New Items":
    cbxAccessTable.items = [u"tblTCDIActive".u"tblTCDIInactive",u"tblTCDIAll"]
    cbxAccessTable.upperDict = {i.upper():i for i in cbxAccessTable.items}
    cbxAccessTable.value = cbxAccessTable.items[0]
    cbxAccessTable.oldValue = cbxAccessTable.value
    cbxAccessTable.refresh()
elif selection == "Original Items":
    cbxAccessTable.items = [u"tblTCDIActive".u"tblTCDIInactive"]
    cbxAccessTable.upperDict = {i.upper():i for i in cbxAccessTable.items}
    cbxAccessTable.value = cbxAccessTable.items[0]
    cbxAccessTable.oldValue = cbxAccessTable.value‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
    cbxAccessTable.refresh()
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos