List by selection: no selected features are displayed

04-12-2019 08:20 AM
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

When you select features in Desktop, you get a handy list of them in the "List By Selection" tab. Pro on the other hand puts a number next to their containing layers in the complete layer list, which basically makes this function useless when you work with dozens of layers nested in multiple groups. Is there a way to bring back or simulate Desktop's approach?

3 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

It sounds like you're looking for this: https://community.esri.com/ideas/13744-deselect-features-from-table-of-contents-selection-tab-in-arc...

I'll check in with the dev teams, but in the meantime could you up vote that and provide some details about what is most useful about the ArcMap functionality to your work?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

Sure. Aside from providing a quick look at what's currently selected (and only that) it's mostly useful when I need to do something with the layers containing the selected features, such as creating a new layer from the selection (through the right-click options) or dragging multiple layers into a geoprocessing tool, e. g. for merging or building polygons from their combined features (which works for the whole layer as well if I deselect before running the process).

In short, it saves a lot of time that would be wasted scrolling around in search of the feature's corresponding layers buried somewhere in the TOC.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks L R

0 Kudos