Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello Pasquale,  Welcome to the GeoNet Community! I hope you find the community helpful. Here are a few places to get you started:

Imagery and Remote Sensing

Ocean Sciences

Maritime and Remote Sensing GIS

ArcGIS for Maritime

I am traveling to Italy later this year for a vacation and I am really looking forward to exploring your country!

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
CosmasAnaetoh
New Contributor
  • Where do you work and what is your role?
    I currently work with EMTS (9Mobile_NG) a telecoms services provider in Nigeria. My role is using GIS and other surveying skills at my disposal to solve the business/clients problems throughout the Northern region of the country ranging from BTS planning, monitoring, Geo-marketing solutions, mapping, etc.
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
    Mapping strategically sim-activation devices to designated locations to meet the populace needs using ArcGIS, Google Earth & Map Info.
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?
    GIS related: GIS in telecommunications and using it to improve network quality in Nigeria.
    Non-GIS related: mechanized agriculture, to provide more food for the teeming population here.

Favorite Location:

9.075885N, 9.958199W

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello Cosmas, Welcome to the GeoNet Community! Here are a few videos to help you navigate the community to find what is most helpful for you. 

Video Link : 4644 

Video Link : 4585 

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
LaurenCho
New Contributor II

Hi! 

I'm currently finishing up my junior year at college down in the southern Virginia. I'm originally from Northern Virginia around the D.C. area. I took a geospatial analysis course provided by a near by university my senior year and absolutely fell in love with the course, I've never been academically inclined, but I was considered an expert at the program ArcGIS and I wanted to pursue GIS studies. Though, the school that I am attending does not offer it, it broke my heart. So, I am finishing up with a bachelors of Psychology with a cognate of counseling. Then, after I graduate, I am diving back into an accelerated masters program for about 4 or 5 years depending if I stay on track and start working for the DOD, CIA, or DHS, where ever I am needed!

I just got ArcGIS and I'm diving back and enrolling in some courses soon! 

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Lauren, Welcome to GeoNet, the Esri Community! Happy to hear your excitement about GIS! Even thought it isn't your current study focus, here are a few places that can help you stay engaged and learn more.  

New to GIS

Education‌ (check out the MOOC offerings)

Esri Training

Let me know if you have any question on how/ where to find information!

Cheers and good luck with your studies!

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

Lauren, is that you!?

0 Kudos
LaurenCho
New Contributor II

I am Groot. 

JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

Where do you work and what is your role?

Hello from Fairfax, Virginia.  My name is Jason Smolinski.  I teach GIS to about 150 students at a local high school via James Madison University's Geospatial Semester.  My previous career was as a cartographer/GIS data dummy for a government contractor.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

We primarily use ArcGIS Online.  Seeing this many students walk away with experience in Analysis tools, Operations Dashboards, Story Maps, Survey123, CSVs, and generally-speaking good-looking maps is my big win.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I can speak to implementing GIS at the high school level.

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

Tie between 28.3852° N, 81.5639° W and 44.0756° N, 10.4823° E

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

HI Jason, Welcome to the GeoNet Community! Great to have educators join our friendly and helpful community! The JMU program for High School seniors looks really interesting, what a great opportunity for high school students!

Here are a few places in the community you might find of interest:

Higher Education Instruction and Research

K12 Instruction

Education

ArcGIS Online

Story Maps

ArcGIS StoryMaps Beta

Story Maps for Education

Are the Cherry Blossoms about to bloom over there in Northern VA? I have family in that area and it always so pretty this time of year!  (also I am going to send the JMU course link to my niece who is in high school in Fairfax Co)

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

I believe they have peaked - the leaves have come through by now. 

Michelle, email me at jtsmolinski at fcps.edu if you have any questions about the JMU program.  

Thanks for the welcome!