UTM Coordinate Dataset

04-08-2019 11:15 AM
JimCrane
New Contributor

I am running ArcGIS 10.6.1 on a Windows 10 machine. I am trying to locate where the coordinate system datasets are located. I am trying to visually see which coordinate system will work for a proposed project. Thanks...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

UTM data, if it is correct, will load in the appropriate longitude/latitude area since it has a zone number and a specification as to where it is relative to the equator (N/S).  Lacking the zone number, there are only 120 places on earth that your data could cover... Is there no zone number? or are you looking to find an appropriate UTM zone given its longitude/latitude location?   (ie. Wikipedia has this)

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you are asking what coordinate system is most appropriate for your project. There are times when UTM is most appropriate, but for that matter there are times when a Polar Stereographic is most appropriate.  You may find some answers here.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

We have been discussing in-house about putting up a service that contains the extents for the transformations. We could do a similar one for projected coordinate reference systems, but it would be very 'busy' with multiple overlapping UTM zones, for instance, in many places. 

If you go to the coordinate system picker, you can enter a data extent or custom extent which will filter the coordinate systems.

Melita

0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

As Melita Kennedy‌ suggested in her comment to find a list of appropriate coordinate systems use the coordinate system filter from the Data Frame properties.

Do this by:

1. Zoom to your AOI
  2. Right click Data Frame select Properties
  3. select Coordinate system tab
  4. On the left hand side of the text search click the filter and select Set spatial filter

This will reduce the number of available coordinate systems for your defined extent.

You could also use the IOGP CRS polygons layer available on arcgis.com