Is there a way to turn on labels within ArcGIS Earth?

10-10-2018 12:37 PM
StephanieLeusink
New Contributor III

I haven't been able to find a way to turn on labels in ArcGIS Earth. Is there an option for this somewhere, or will it be added soon? I know you can configure the pop-up, but I would like to be able to specify a label field that will automatically appear and doesn't need the user to click on the point to view the pop-up to find out the point ID.

If I add a KML, the labels automatically come through, but when adding shapefiles or points from a csv file, there doesn't seem to be an option to turn on labels.

6 Replies
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Stephaine,

Support to display shapefile label is in the product backlog. Regarding CSV/TXT file, a workaround for displaying label is to:

(1) Select the filed for 'Title' in the Pop-up panel of CSV layer properties.

(2) Save CSV file as KMZ file by right-clicking in TOC and select Save as...

(3) Add the saved KMZ file and then you will be able to display the filed you just configured.

Thanks,

Mandy

deleted-user-oakGQEffnSqN
New Contributor II

Hello Xiaoxu and Friends,

Please include and/or point to workflow instructions for exporting an ArcGIS Pro Feature Class to a format that will display the labels as/near the appearance in ArcGIS Earth? 

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

0 Kudos
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for connecting! Displaying of the text symbol is not currently supported in Earth, it is in the product backlog.

Though I am not an expert of ArcGIS Pro, as far as I know you can try below workarounds in order to display labels in ArcGIS Earth:

1. Convert a feature layer to KML with the 'Layer to KML' tool in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap, and import the .kml file to ArcGIS Earth.

2. For map service resources, you can 'Generate KML' directly from ArcGIS Online, for example, open the world boundaries and places in a web browser and click "Generate KML' at the bottom, then import the generated .kml file to ArcGIS Earth. 

Thanks,

Mandy

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

Any chance there's an update for when Labeling functionality may be available in ArcGIS Earth?

0 Kudos
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Amanda, thanks for the feedback. Labeling is on the roadmap but not currently in the 1.10 release. Will prioritize it in a near release.

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update, Xiaoxu Li‌! As a user, this seems like a fundamental necessity to the program. 

Thanks, 

Amanda

0 Kudos