RAM for SQL Server hosting Enterprise Geodatabases

05-27-2018 07:33 PM
ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We are currently having  memory pressure issues with the SQL server box that hosts our enterprise geodatabases.

The specs for the SQL Server Box are as follows:

Intel Xeon  CPU E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60 GHz 2.59GHz (2 processors)

Installed memory (RAM): 16 GB

Running SQL 2014 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

We have about 50 spatial databases with a total size of 200GB  

We are getting the following errors in ArcMap:

Error exporting data.

Table schema changes after cursor declared [4200:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11][SQL Server]

Could not complete cursor operation because the schema changed after the cursor was declared.]

AppDomain unload. You may have encountered behavior described in Esri Technical Article 43036 and Microsoft Defect 3374271 [42000:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]The app domain with specified version id (5870) was unloaded due to memory pressure and could not be found.]

Below is a extract from the SQL Logs:

From a quick google search it appears that we may need an increase in RAM ? 

Can anyone let me know the amount of RAM that they are have installed on their SQL boxes. I'm trying to justify

a RAM upgrade to at least 32gb ?

If anyone else has encountered this issue and has another fix other than increasing the RAM please let me know.

Thanks,

Clinton 

0 Kudos
19 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That is good to hear. Some of the performance related items are just make a change and test. Many performance issues are resource related, but they may also be data related.

Make sure that you are performing data maintenance on your data also, especially if there is versioned editing being performed.

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-sql-server/overview-maintenance.htm

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RichardBunten1
New Contributor III

Yes, I am aware of database management for a versioned database.  The database versions are reconciled, posted and compressed nightly to one state.  And I rebuild and analyze all the indexes on a weekly basis.

thanks again.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You may to increase the Analyse Datasets and the indexes more than weekly to see if that improves performance.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is the geoprocessing history cleared regularly too?

Is the vm back-end all 10 Gigabit and SSD?

0 Kudos
RichardBunten1
New Contributor III

How do you clear the geoprocessing history?  The VM is 10 Gigabit and SSD.

0 Kudos
RichardBunten1
New Contributor III

Actually, I don't retain the geoprocessing history longer than 2 weeks on my computer.  But, I thought this was on a workstation level.  Is the geoprocessing history retained on an enterprise level?

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
RickGeittmann
Occasional Contributor II

Clinton,

We are running 56 GB of RAM on our SQL DB server running in the Azure cloud - had some of the same errors.

Xeon E5-2660 @2.20 GHz 8 cores

0 Kudos