Unstable Projection? Data not lining up, why?

03-26-2019 05:15 AM
JacquelineAlessi
Occasional Contributor II

I have several FDS that are set to Nad State Plane South (WKID: 2253) that I want to project to WGS 84 WEb Mercator (WKID: 3857). I have been using the NAD_1983_to_WGS_1984_5 transformation. This was working for a while but now my WGS datasets are drawing about 3 feet off of where the points were. I didn't change any of the parameters in my GP tool. I can run the Projection in catalog, pull the FC into an MXD with Imagery and they are fine, but once I save the map and reopen it the imagery and FC no longer align. The imagery and the FC are the same Coordinate system. Please help! 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JacquelineAlessi

The Answer is dependant, each of the following represents a new MXD: 

1.) When I pull in the result of the Projection to WGS84 and the WGS84 Imagery there is NO transformation set in the data frame because the data frame, the Raster, and the Vector are all in the same Coordinate System, But they don't align. 

2.) When I compare the output of the projection in WGS84 to the input NAD83, the transformation IS set and they still don't align. 

3.) When I compare the input in NAD83 to the Imagery in WGS84 with the translation set they align perfectly. 

10.6.1 ArcMap

0 Kudos
JacquelineAlessi

What Im getting at is the output is the only things that does not align. What I need to make clear is that this only happens when I run batch project at the FDS level. If I batch project on FC there is no issue except for with the ones that have advanced capabilities which is to be expected. However I need to maintain my network and topology so where does that leave me, haha

0 Kudos