Drawing a circle with border without it being filled

Jump to solution
10-23-2013 09:44 AM
TaylorAbrahamson
New Contributor
I am trying to draw a black circle with a radius and border 'stroke' width. I do not want the circle to be filled in with any color.

I see that you can draw a filled circle with SimpleMarkerSymbol using the Style.CIRCLE. But that fills the circle, there are no options for border color and width or opacity of the fill color.

Perhaps I've missed something in the API.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenBaier
New Contributor III
You could use a SimplePictureSymbol with the picture of a donut (circle with full alpha center).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenBaier
New Contributor III
You could use a SimplePictureSymbol with the picture of a donut (circle with full alpha center).
0 Kudos
EliseAcheson1
Occasional Contributor
You can use a SimpleFillSymbol with a SimpleLineSymbol border and a transparent fill color - however you need to use this type of symbol with a polygon Geometry, not a point. So, you could either create your circles as polygons or use GeometryEngine.buffer to buffer a point and thus create a polygon geometry, then symbolize that with a fill symbol. If you don't want the scale dependent behavior that a polygon will give you, then the PictureMarkerSymbol suggestion is probably your best bet.
0 Kudos
TaylorAbrahamson
New Contributor
Thanks for all of these options. Although I can't do exactly what I want to do, I at least have a few work arounds.

I would like to reccomend that the API have a setAlpha(int alpha) method added for a SympleMarkerSymbol. SimpleLineSymbol has it, why not SimpleMarkerSymbol?
0 Kudos
EliseAcheson1
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for all of these options. Although I can't do exactly what I want to do, I at least have a few work arounds.

I would like to reccomend that the API have a setAlpha(int alpha) method added for a SympleMarkerSymbol. SimpleLineSymbol has it, why not SimpleMarkerSymbol?

Suggestion noted!

You can however set transparency on an individual SimpleMarkerSymbol via its Color, e.g. by using a color like (0, 0, 0, 150) where 150 is the alpha. You can also set an opacity on the GraphicsLayer containing these symbols, so for example if you wanted a group of symbols to have a certain transparency you could stick them all in the same layer and set the opacity on the layer via setOpacity(float).
0 Kudos