Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Harini, Welcome to Esri and GeoNet!  Lots of great places on GoeNet to get you started:

New to GIS

Product Communities

GeoNet Resource Hub

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
GregS
by
New Contributor

a

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Greg, Welcome to GeoNet! 

Here are some posts and places that might interest you:

GIS Job Titles of the Future...

GIS Jobs

Cheers,

Michelle (GeoNet Community Manager)

Michelle Mathias
EricCaldwell
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

I am Eric Caldwell, a research analyst with Alaska's Division of Community and Regional Affairs. Our division deals primarily with issues relating to rural Alaska.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

I successfully utilized Survey 123 to execute our semi-annual survey of gasoline and heating fuel prices across 100 communities. I am currently using Storymaps to present the fuel survey data, updating from the traditional PDF format that has been used since 2005.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I come into this role with no GIS experience, but I have past experience in rural Alaskan issues and a decade of experience analyzing data on Alaska's public education system.

Favorite Place:

51.4624250,-0.1402100

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Eric, Welcome to GeoNet!  Congrats on your successes with Survey123 for ArcGIS‌ and Story Maps‌! I have found (from personal experience) that these are great apps to start with if you have limited GIS experience/background. 

If you want to learn more about other products check out: Product Communities

Cheers,

Michelle 

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
HarshithaDondapati
New Contributor

Hello everyone, 

My name is Harshitha Dondapati (Harshi) and I am an incoming Product Management intern at ESRI. I am currently pursuing my Professional MBA at Seattle University with a focus on Marketing and Data Analytics. My current role is in Marketing and I have also worked in operations and environmental research in the past.

My experience with GIS has been pretty limited. I have a Master's in Environmental Engineering where I got to use ArcGIS a little but I'm excited to explore the various products available during my internship. 

Looking forward to connect with ESRI community and excited to be a part of it! 

Favorite place:  36.3932° N, 25.4615° E

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Santorini!

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

My name is Luiz Amadeu Coutinho I´m a brazilian and I work as a Researcher for University of Lisbon - Lisbon Portugal .

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

My latest project was created using ESRI Cityengine. We built a 3D Virtual Campus of Faculty of Sciences. All interior spaces and exterior textures were modeled on CityEngine using rules in CGA, KML Files. All data were from CAD Projects, converted in feature classes in ArcMAP. We also use Collector for ArcGIS to update the database about the spaces. The project is shared on Portal for ArcGIS to show the project and others Apps. Next step I will create routes to Indoor Navigation . Visit https://smart.campus.ciencias.ulisboa.pt  to see more. 

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I´m a Geographer from Brazil with Master Degree in GIS and Remote Sensing(Lisbon). I´ve been working with GIS in the latest 15 years on mobile, deskop and Web solutions. Now my eyes are looking to 3D content creation, using CityEngine and ArcGIS Pro. I´m also photographer working with 360 photography, landscape and Portraits (instagram @amadeuvix) .Feel free to contact-me if someone need help in CityEngine or Portal for ArcGIS . 🙂 

Favorite place now

38.694405,-9.2086013

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello Luiz, Welcome to GeoNet. Thank you for sharing your experience and examples! Great stuff!  

If you haven't already found theCityEngine‌ space in the community you might find it of interest.

Cheers!

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
KentonYearick1
New Contributor II

Hello Geonet community, my name is Kenton Yearick and I'm a GIS Technician at Maser Consulting P.A. at the Charlotte, NC office. Maser Consulting is a multi disciplined consulting firm. I've been with Maser for a little over a half year and love my position. I get to work on a wide variety of projects ranging from creating/maintaining the parcel fabric (tax maps), data integration, automation, environmental studies, and water /waste water to name a few. 

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

A huge amount of my time this year has been adjusting to the "real world" job environment. Learning about business development and internal relationships and how to maintain those relationships. I plan on continuing to work on my public speaking and professionalism (something I'd wish I'd have taken more seriously in school). But besides relationships, I've been able to help Maser with the migration from ArcMap to ArcPro for certain projects. We live in a very fast paced technology advancing world. So utilizing the newest products will help the company stand out and win projects.

I'd say my strongest skill set is utilizing ArcPro to help with automation of projects/task. I'm new to the Charlotte area and being that I work for a consulting firm, reaching out and networking with the community to see where we (Maser Consulting) can assist would be a goal of mine.

Bonus Points
36°05'49.45"N 81°47'58.56"W