ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 frequently becomes unresponsive

03-17-2019 10:46 AM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

I recently upgraded to 2.3.1 and I have found that Pro frequently becomes unresponsive for several minutes.  Has anybody else seen this behaviour??

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit, with an i5 processor, and 16 GB of RAM.

**************** UPDATE ****************

My laptop is an HP ProBook 650 G2.  It uses the Intel HD 520 which is an integrated graphics unit (built into the motherboard).  A more powerful graphics chip/card would be better but this is all I have right now.  In the Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Proguide it recoommends upgrading your graphics card driver:

ACTION: If you’re having trouble switch to OpenGL, also upgrade graphics card driver from MANUFACTURER site (not from windows update).

HP has a great support website and I was able to use my laptop's serial number to get to the specific graphics driver for the Intel HD 520.  The date on the driver was Feb 2019, very fresh. 

So far the graphics card driver upgrade appears to have solved my problem.  However, I have not done a lot in ArcGIS Pro since the driver upgrade.  But the few things I have done have been free of my previous problems.

27 Replies
JayJohnson6
New Contributor III

One could try this: https://itstillworks.com/how-to-configure-shared-memory-through-bios-10034.html 

That would reassign some system memory to the video card you currently have.  Otherwise, a workstation video card such as the AMD Radeon Pro or NVIDIA Quadro is best.  The Radeon replaced the FireGL video card product line in 2016.  

Pro does need 8 to 16 GB of memory, and that usually means recycling any Vista-era computer.  My office has only one 4 GB computer in a conference room, and it crashed immediately on startup with Pro.  8 GB is just fine in our other meeting rooms.

I run 10.6.1 on a newer laptop which was all of $200.  I will try 2.3 on there...

Crash dump files live here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReport 

Both Pro and Map crashes get saved there.

JoshCox
New Contributor II

This behavior isn't hardware related, I am experiencing the same 'freezing' doing tasks like adjusting symbology or labeling.  I am running the 2 Xeon E-2176M processors, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Quadro P1000 w/ 4GB DDR5 dedicated + 8GB shared system memory.

JayJohnson6
New Contributor III

I don’t see any bugfix related to this in the 2.3.2 release, but you could just try 2.3.2 and see. Then, if needed, take it up with ESRI Support and open a case. That’s how bugfixes get started. My crashes seem to be attribute table related, however, all of my recent labeling work was done in Map. I will try my next complicated layout in Pro.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

The "Minimum" requirements are literally, the minimum required for the software to start. Once you start doing things like making a map, using GP tools, accessing hosted feature services, you will experience....the performance you are experiencing. You will find that Pro simply won't do much more than "start" on an i5. 

With 2.2., the "recommended" GPU RAM was 2 GB. Now it's 4 GB or more. By the time you get your new laptop ordered and set up, 2.4 will be calling for 8 GB of GPU RAM and an external oil-cooler. Only Bitcoin miners will be able to run 2.5.....

Granted, most of that "requirement" is for 3D stuff. But I suspect a lot of not supported responses to folks with 2 year old video cards that don't meet the recommended GPU specs. As most organizations are on a 5 year PC replacement cycle, I don't see how it's feasible to plan for hardware purchases that will run Pro this version or next, and be able to sustain that investment to the end of 5 years. We could easily get away with a 7 year return on investment with Arc Map workstations. 

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro gives good steps on seeing exactly where your performance issues are, but, you'll be disappointed to find that the output confirms what you already know.

PanGIS
by

Thomas Colson wrote:

…. Only Bitcoin miners will be able to run 2.5.....

thank you for linking to this blog article!

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have 2.3.1 on a machine that far exceeds the recommended specs and I'm currently looking at the 'spinning wheel of no return' (Not Responding)  I've geocoded some addresses and I was trying to navigate around the results feature class attribute table when it went south.  Task Manger/End Task is my friend...

See https://community.esri.com/thread/230604-arcgis-pro-23-crashes-with-related-tables : this is all happening with the same project....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ColeAndrews

I have. I had 2.3 for a couple weeks and it was continually locking up and/or crashing as well, much different behavior than the previous version crashes. Just got 2.3.1 up the other day so I can't say if the issue is persisting.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The only crashing I have had in quite a while, is when Pro first loads at the start of a day... it looks like it is trying to 'call home' or something (based on system programs that are esri's) and if it fails because of timeouts or tries, it fails.  Fire it back up and it runs fine.  I sent off a couple of debug reports but of course you get no feedback (not unexpected because of volume) so I just gave up sending them.  The situations is always the same... computer off, turn on, fails, restart, works.  But never any delays when working with local data but a few random runs of some 'arcgisprocleanup' program when you are sitting there or working

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's exactly what I have experienced as well, up until today...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoshCox
New Contributor II

Bernie, I have definitely noticed this as well.  It seems to be when I am using the symbology and labeling panes to adjust settings for my layers is when I see it the most.  These are projects that worked just fine in Pro 2.2.4, and the maps and layouts I am working on are not that intense.  It's also not a machine spec issue since I am seeing this running 16GB RAM, SSD, dual Xeon processors, NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4GB.