Adding in lines from a Feature Service to AutoCAD as a LWPolyLines by default

02-27-2019 02:48 PM
bobbasques
New Contributor II

Adding a (polyline) Feature Service to AutoCAD.  Is there any way to default to creating all lines in AutoCAD as LWPolyLines?  If I edit a simple line feature (2 point) in a service by changing it to a LWPolyline in AutoCAD, the new record is blank and the old features is deleted?  To solve this, I would like to simply create all lines in AutoCAD as LWpolylines, even 2 point lines.

Is there a reason that the plugin will draw in AutoCAD as both 2 point (LINES) and multi-point (LWPOLYLINE) AutoCAD Features?

Thanks

bobb

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

I am not sure there is any reason other than that is what it does. Why do you want/need them as LWPolyLines?

Perhaps we should change it? You might consider a chunk of AutoLISP that changes the LINE to LWPolyLine and will first copy your attributes using the ArcGIS for AutoCAD AutoLISP tools and then reapply them to the new entity, it will still be a delete and add as far as the feature service is concerned though.

-Don

0 Kudos
bobbasques
New Contributor II

Hi Don,

Long time AutoCAD user, newish ESRI user here.  I'm autually the CAD support person here at the City of Saint Paul, and I did look into the AutoLISP options you mentioned for solving this.  I'm well versed in AutoLISP, and the functions provided by the API look like they would be enough to solve the problem. It seemed like the long way around to solving though, but still doable. (BTW, I have a couple of other suggestions, like why can't the Attribute window be left open when the fouc is put back on AutoCAD.

The reason I (we) need to have the linework as all polys, is that the editing tools for moving/adding in segments and arcs are much better defined in the Polyline editor in AutoCAD.  By chance, I used a Street Centerline dataset to test out the editing functions from AutoCAD to ESRI, and after my initial excitement about the possibilities, this little thing popped up and pretty much became a show stopper.  We manage the Street Centerlines as muli-part polylines (with Arcs). These stretch from instreet Intersection to street intersection.  Many are simple two point lines, but a good chunk of them are multi-part.  We will need to be able to add in the functionaility of the multi-part line type moving in the future as we'll be fine tuning the place of the linework, and at a much higher resoultion.  Things like adding in curve  end points, and moving thevertices around.  Polylines are the way to go for this type of editing in AutoCAD.

Importing the features into AutoCAD as all LWPOLYLINES   Understood on the 3Dpolyline being a different beast as well.

Was just hoping there might be a config option or preference available for importing LINEs as LWPOLYLINEs instead of LINEs.  I' was assuming this was a historical thing, and when arcs were added in as a supported item that you add in a new import element type.  BTW, I didn't check, but what happens when I use a simple arc for a feature, does it become a ARC (3-point) in AutoCAD, or a LWPOLYLINE

Thanks

bobb

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

Yeah, the only reason we do it that way is we try to create the smallest, simplest entity we can.  But it would actually be easier for us to always create plines.  We would still have to create 3d plines for non-planar line features.

- Karen

0 Kudos
bobbasques
New Contributor II

Hi Karen,

Not sure about how it might be best approached, but having a end user config setting for this might be one way to go.  I'm not immediately coming up with a need to have the separation of lines from polylines in our setup, but I'm sure this would be beneficial in large datasets.  One item I forgot about in my reply to Don, was that we also keep a history of edits for the polylines we're manageing in AutoCAD, so the delte, recreate option doesn't sound like a good way to go and still be confident about a accurate history being maintained.

My next idea is to see if there might be a way on the ESRI side to fake a polyline for a two point line segment.  We've actually used this approach in the past to good effect.  We just add in a Midpoint on the line segment and call it an 3-point arc.  Then it's tagged as NOT a LINE.

Would appreciate any insight you have.

bobb

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

Yes, I hear you.  There isn't really a great workaround for the current release, but I'll log a request for the next release.  I'm not sure it matters to anyone that we create the simplest feature, so we can default to always using LWPolylines for planar features.

bobbasques
New Contributor II

Karen,

Is there a spot where these requests for features in newer releases are available to view?  It would help me in conversations here about moving forward (or not) with the use of the different tools/capabilities.

Thanks

bobb

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

I'd have to defer to Don Kuehne on that question.   As far as I know, there isn't a place where we specifically list the requested features and our development plans for those features.  That said, if you have any specific issues or concerns, feel free to lob them our way.  I can tell you that your concern about polylines is addressed in the next release.  There are some nuances with it, but I think you'll be satisfied.

0 Kudos
bobbasques
New Contributor II

Karen,

Thanks for the info. BTW, is there some sort of approved edit list for requested features posted someplace for different versions and their projected release date? Just looking for a timeline on what becomes available when, etc.

Also, any info you can relay or point to about ESRI’s application of AutoLISP would be approeciated. I did do a deep dive recently into the current available autolisp functions and the XRecord data uses inside of AutoCAD by the Arc for CAD plugin. Most everything is straightforward, but I’m old school and like to build in AutoLisp (almost exclusively), autolisp seems to have a longer life than most other languages in AutoCAD. I have some 25 year old applications still being used regularly. Any plans you know of related to expanding on the Autolisp (programmers toolbox) side, if any?

Thanks

bobb

0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

Bob...kind of a late reply, but I wanted to ask about your use of AutoLisp.  We have a pretty extensive AutoLisp API in ArcGIS for AutoCAD, but if there's something specific you are trying to do, I'll see if it is there (or add it to the list).  BTW...I can confirm that the original issue (use LW polylines instead of Lines) has been implemented in 400.

0 Kudos