Features to JSON Projection Error?

09-17-2018 06:38 AM
MalcolmMeyer2
Occasional Contributor II

Did the update in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2 change the internal workings of the Features to JSON function? There is now a 'Project to WGS84', which incidently does not work - does not change coords to decimal degrees - but also I am getting projection artifacts/errors. See the image below - one geojson exported with ArcGIS Pro Features to JSON, the other exported with esri2open. Approx 3' difference between the two. Looks like I have to go back and change all my models to use this old script unless Esri pushes an update to fix this. The original feature is in WGS84. 

5 Replies
GabrielMarcus1

I'm curious if this was fixed in your environment. 

I'm using 3.2 at home and 2.1.3 at work.  It seems that when I export, the file isn't set to WGS84/4326. 

I've opened a case on this. 

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer2

A couple things - first the whole projection issue mentioned above is the result of ArcGIS Pro having by default a transformation enabled for NAD 83 <> WGS84, while ArcGIS Desktop and earlier versions of Pro do not. See this thread - Converting NAD83 to WGS84 ArcMap vs ArcPro. I have not found a way to override this transformation in Model Builder in Pro, so until I can convert all my data to WGS84 with the proper transformation, I will likely be sticking with ArcGIS Desktop or QGIS to handle creation of GeoJSON.

The second issue is that even if you select "Project to WGS 84" when using Features to JSON tool, the coordinates stay in the native projection, meaning they do not get switched to decimal degrees per the GeoJSON spec (RFC 7946 - The GeoJSON Format). I have not tried this in a few months so I do not know if this has been fixed in any new versions. The workaround is to export a projected WGS84 layer, then run the Features to JSON tool on the newly projected layer.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

This bug is addressed in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 alpha builds. When "Project to WGS 84" is enabled, the output coordinates are in lat lon, rather than in their native projection (and no CRS/Coordinate Reference System is specified in the geojson, per the specification).

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all,

Esri Technical Support has logged the following defect report on this behavior, which was reported to us in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3:

[BUG-000118060 The Features To JSON tool does not respect the outputToWGS84 parameter.]

Our developers are reviewing this bug to determine further action to address this issue. If you are seeing this issue, please contact Esri Technical Support for tracking the issue - Esri Support Contact Support 

Based on your feedback, it still seems to be occurring at 2.3. The workaround would be to run the Project tool on the input features to project them to WGS 1984 before running the Features To JSON tool.

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

If 2.3 patch 2 comes out in late March, when will 2.4 come out?

0 Kudos