Why location with the same geographical & projected coorinate system doesn't match together on the map?

02-22-2019 01:08 PM
MohammedHegazy
New Contributor

I have went through the below steps:

1 - Exporting KML file from Google earth with some points.

2 - applying Excel to table & the resulted table was appeared in a data frame where a base map is available.

3 - Displaying X,Y Coordinates (taking into consideration that the appeared coordinated system in - display X&Y coordinates window - is the same as that of the data frame witch was:

Projected Coordinate System:

Name: WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

Geographic Coordinate System:

Name: GCS_WGS_1984

4 - Although the similarity in both geographical coordinate system & the projected one between the base map & the resulted event but the resulted event appeared in the ocean below Ghana & Nigeria witch is away from its correct location.

By the way, if i make edit and applied only the same Geographical coordinated witch is (GCS_WGS_1984) without the projected one, it gives the right location.

But I'm wondering why in case applying the same geographical & projected system of the base map, it doesn't match with the real location?

Appreciating your answer.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

What were the units that you extracted from Google Earth? (where coordinates in meters/dedimal degrees)

It sounds like you added some coordinates from a geographic coordinate system to a projected system where the origin of the projected system is a 0 degree long and 0 degree lat (hence why the points have plotted off West Africa)

The following blog might be a good place to start?

https://community.esri.com/groups/coordinate-reference-systems/blog/2018/12/12/checklist-adding-coor...