Can I create more than 10 Pins?

01-14-2019 02:22 PM
MarkBall
New Contributor II

Good day,

I am using ArcGIS in Power BI. I am trying to pin our 80 Canadian branch locations on the map, it caps at 10 locations using "Pins". The data i am displaying is drilling rig activity by latitude and longitude. I want to show the location of my branches in relation to where the activity is happening. Is a paid subscription to esri the only way to do what i want to do?

Thank you,

Mark

Tags (1)
5 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hello Mark, 

Thank you for reaching out. I am a Product Engineer for the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI application here at Esri, and I wanted to get in touch to respond.

Unfortunately, the limit is capped to 10 pins on the map. This is true even when using a Plus or Named User account. I have linked our documentation which mentions this limit. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Adding Pins

Thank you, 

Anthony

0 Kudos
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Hey Mark,

Just wanted to add a little extra detail to Anthony's response above.

If all of your data is lat-long based, you should be able to directly consume that as points by pushing that data into Power BI itself, then dropping it into the latitude longitude field wells on the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI visual. Sounds like you might already be doing that part.

My belief is that you then want to put another layer on the map to show your branches in relation to the location of the drilling activity. The best way to do this would probably be to create polygons indicating the boundaries of those branches by using a custom reference layer. You can create this with an ArcGIS Online subscription, publish it as a Feature service, then consume it back in ArcGIS Maps for Power BI. The end result would look something like this, with a set of polygons representing boundaries for each branch, and activity represented by points (or a heat map if that makes more sense):

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with the sales team who should be able to set you up with a trial.

Josh

0 Kudos
MarkBall
New Contributor II

Thank you Josh and Anthony for the responses. My branch location data is static, and the drilling activity is updated weekly. So I cannot use both in the model.

If I use an additional layer, does that require all my Power BI report consumers to also have a subscription?

Mark Ball

Operational Excellence

Business Efficiency Manager - Canada

Phone: 403-531-5626

Cell: 403-651-2039

0 Kudos
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Hey Mark,

The layout I proposed above fits with what you describe - dynamic drilling locations (data sources from PowerBI) and static branch location data (data sources from your ArcGIS Online layer) as long as you're okay with the branches being represented as polygons similar to what I described above. The use case that I pasted a picture from above was showing store stock overlain with polygons representing distribution center territories - not exactly the same, but a similar type of use case.

To answer your second question, no, you don't necessarily need to have an ArcGIS Online subscription for all of your viewers as long as you are willing to publish the reference layer (i.e. the branch location polygons, not the dynamic drilling location data) publicly. If you want those polygons shared only privately, that does require each person to sign into an ArcGIS Online account.

Hope this makes sense, but if not of course feel free to ask any additional questions!

Josh

0 Kudos
MarkBall
New Contributor II

Thanks Josh, publishing to the public is fine since we do that on our own website anyways, so that is no problem at all. Thanks for the information. I will do some reading on your site about adding a layer, see if my team is good with it, then pursue a license if needed. Have a great day!!

Mark Ball

Operational Excellence

Business Efficiency Manager - Canada

Phone: 403-531-5626

Cell: 403-651-2039

0 Kudos