Overlapping 2 rasters using ARCGIS

02-20-2019 08:14 PM
AlessandraNakata
New Contributor

I am trying to overlap 2 rasters (same region, but acquired in different dates). My objective is to know how much the soil changed after a landslide. I am using "Mosaic to Raster" to set Raster "AFTER_Clip" in the same spatial reference as Raster "BEFORE_Clip". The rasters have the following information.

BEFORE_Clip (before the landslide)

elevation info: EGM96

pixel size: 5m

data type: signed 16-bit

AFTER_Clip (after the landslide)

elevation info: WGS84

pixel size: 2m

data type: Float (32 bit)

I am probably doing something wrong because I am not getting satisfactory results.

If anyone can point me where I am wrong, or another better tool to use in this case I would appreciate it very much.

Update: when I choose the tool "Project Raster" the option "vertical" is not active. That means the rasters (DSM) do not have vertical coordinate system?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Alessandra, 

You may find this link helpful for defining the coordinate system of the "After_Clip" raster. You should be able to Import the coordinate system information from the Before_Clip raster to ensure that they are the same:

Specify a coordinate system—Properties of maps | ArcGIS Desktop 

To answer your second question about the Project Raster tool, the Vertical parameter is unavailable and is only available when the input and output coordinate systems have a vertical coordinate system (VCS), and the input feature class coordinates have z-values. See the last bullet point under the "Usage" section at this link:

Project Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos