How do you change symbology of a single value within a field in ArcPro?

02-20-2019 12:21 PM
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Using ArcPro to edit. I want to bring to light (change symbiology) a unique value within a field. This field has over 100 values. I want to change just one without showing the additional 99. How??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

Have you tried using this option:

And then grouping "All other values" besides the one you're interested in?

0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Josh - How do I delete or group 97 other values in that field into "other"?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR

You use Shift + click to select multiple items, then choose "Group"

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's a couple ways you could do it.  Use a Definition Query on the Layer in the Contents Pane to only show only the single feature from a feature class.  Then apply the single symbol symbology you want to see.  The other features in the feature class do not draw.  Another more cumbersome way is to apply Unique Values on the field name from the Symbology Pane, remove all of the displayed values, then click the + button to "Add unlisted values", pick the value you wish to appear, and then uncheck the "Show all other values" to only show the single feature.  Cumbersome but works.  Personally I'd go with a Definition Query.

0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Robert - How do I then group the remaining values into an "all others" symbol?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Andrew - if you do Unique Values for symbology, identify the one value to symbolize, then using a SHIFT (or CTRL), select all the others in the list.  Once that is completed, do a right click and select Group.  All other values are grouped together for a single symbol.

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

I generally handle this kind of situation by creating a new field named FLAG, selecting the records of interest and Calculate Field FLAG = "YES".  Clear the selection, then symbolize on that new field.   This is a flexible approach and very simple.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos