Clip not working

05-21-2018 04:51 PM
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I have a peculiar problem. The clip tool is simply not running. My results say that the tool ran, but the output isn't created, and there are no messages. 

I have moved all the data into the same geodatabase, and it's all in the same projection. I welcome any suggestions to what could be going on because I am at a loss. 

Thank you GeoNet Community! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I agree, but deadlines mean I do what I know works instead of spending unknown hours trying to figure out what's not working, and then possibly having a solution.  Hopefully I won't run into this do it right and look like and inefficient employee vs. do it quick & dirty proplem so much with Pro.

0 Kudos
KarenRobine
Occasional Contributor II

I just read this. I'm having a problem with Clip in a Geoprocessing tool (part of a very large python script) running in 10.5.1.  It runs perfectly in 10.4.1 and 10.6.1, so I think it's a bug in 10.5.1.  Its happening on a very large dataset of NHD Flowlines (linear data).   So I'm curious what version of software you ran into this problem with?

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I'm on 10.5.1 too, and I'm inclined to agree with you about the bug

0 Kudos
WilliamOlsen
New Contributor III

I teach GIS at a University and have been running into this problem on and off for months in a computer lab setting.  It happens with multiple functions and basically just runs the tool very fast and says it was completed, but no data gets produced.  It does not seem to be related to projections, bad geometry, or the bounding coordinates.  Changing default GDB, scratch workspace, default workspace or other environment settings does not help.   Restarting the PC is the only option since the students do not have Admin. rights to run a repair.

If anyone knows what is causing this, please respond!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WilliamOlsen
New Contributor III

Just an update in case anyone else runs into this....If you Disable Background Geo Processing, it appears to fix the issue.

FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

wow! i will keep that in mind. thanks for the tip

0 Kudos
AmandaNunley
New Contributor II

Thank you so much William!  I have been battling with this problem for over a year. My geoprocessing tools have been running successfully, but not creating the output datasets. Sometimes in happens in ArcMap, sometimes ArcCatalog.(This was still an issue at 10.7) But, turning off the background geoprocessing fixed the problem immediately! Thanks for your help!!   

0 Kudos
YacineBerrezel
New Contributor

Hello Faith, I had the same problem, try to reboot your device 

0 Kudos
winnerabiodun1
New Contributor

This worked just fine. Thanks for sharing

0 Kudos