How do I publish a KML service from ArcGIS Pro?

11-05-2018 12:14 PM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, I would like to enable a KML service on a service I'm publishing from Pro (2.2).

Content is all vector.  Here's what I'm doing.  I publish it as both a Map and Feature service.  However my end customer primarily needs KML.

So, I don't see KML as an option in the service creation screen in 2.2.  Ok, so I go to the Server Manager that hosts services for my Portal instance (jeez this is already getting so confusing), and I click on the Capabilities there.  No KML.  Huh?

So I go to ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 and connect with admin credentials to my AGS instance, stop the service, examine its properties and lo and behold there is a KML checkbox.  I check it and leave defaults enabled.  I hit OK, and here's what I get:

ERROR: 'AGSMembershipProviderWrapper' is not a valid extension type for 'MapServer'.

How do I publish from ArcGIS Pro and create a KML network link?  Since KML has long been an OGC standard I would assume this should not take moving heaven and earth to do, and I'm probably missing something very simple.

Tags (1)
6 Replies
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Any luck with this? I am having the same issue regarding enable kml. 

0 Kudos
EricEagle

Hi Claire, nope.  In fact there are 2 or 3 bugs I've already reported regarding KML handling, which has really fallen apart in Pro.

0 Kudos
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Eric - Do you have a bug number for this?

0 Kudos
EricEagle

Sure: BUG-000119738

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Eric,

Could you just make a KML from the toolbox and host the KML on a server somewhere (not AGOL)?

Layer To KML—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
EricEagle

Hi Adrian,

I don't think so. It's a regularly updated table on a registered data store, so I need a styled network link, vs. hosting a static kml file.

Additionally, Layer to KML is broken in ArcGIS Pro for raster content, when I need to capture that as a KMZ.

0 Kudos