Granting privileges on empty feature dataset returns no user

02-18-2019 05:50 AM
GalAvraham1
New Contributor II

Good day all

I'm experiencing some odd behavior when applying the 'Change Privileges' tool on an empty featyre dataset, and am not sure this is the expected behavior, at least it is not documented.

When using the 'Change Privileges' tool on an empty feature dataset, stored within MS SQL Server, no user is added to the list of users with privileges on this specific dataset. Only when the feature dataset is 'hosting' a feature class in it, this process add the requested user, listing the privileges granted. Further more, after emptying a feature dataset from all of its feature classes, the list of users with privileges on the specific dataset, appears empty (it was populated when the dataset 'hosted' feature classes). Does anyone encounter such behavior? Is it the expected beavior.

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.3, standard, on Win10, working against a GDB stored within MS SQL Server 2012.

Regards

Gal Avraham

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

This is an expected behaviour, however I have not seen it documented anywhere as such.

Logical explanation as per me:

Feature Datasets are just containers to store the Feature Classes and other geodatabase objects. When you create a feature dataset, it doesn't really create a Table for that Dataset in your DBMS. So accordingly, when you are granting Privilege on an empty Dataset, the DBMS is not really granting those Permissions on a Table and thus it's lost.

So atleast one Feature Class needs to be present in a feature dataset for Privileges to be granted successfully.

Similar GeoNet discussion: https://community.esri.com/thread/213514-unable-to-add-privileges-to-a-feature-dataset 

0 Kudos
GalAvraham1
New Contributor II

Yes this is what crossed my mind when first encountered this issue. The thing is, at least the way I see it, such behavior should be documented. You can't expect all users to truly understand the bits and bytes of feature datasets , privileges granting mechanism and its 'prerequisites'.

Cheers

Gal

0 Kudos