ArcGIS Icon Library for IT Architecture?

Jump to solution
05-26-2017 10:42 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This question may have been asked recently, or at least before, but I can't seem to find a good answer, let alone the icons themselves.

It is getting more common today for companies to release icon libraries for doing architecture diagrams involving their software or platforms.  When I work with Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and others; I can just go to the web and download multiple formats of their architecture- or network-related icons:

From looking at both Esri's online documentation and the System Design Strategies - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia , it is clear that Esri has an icon library.  In fact, they appear to be transitioning from a 10.1-10.4 icon library

to a 10.5+ icon library.

Personally, I like the older 10.1-10.4 icons more, but flattened, mono- or duo-colored icons appear to be all the rage these days.

So, my question is whether Esri makes their ArcGIS Icon Library for Architecture available, either publicly or to its customers?

44 Replies
StevenAustin
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

I hadn't heard about this concept until someone asked at the User Conference at the Implementing ArcGIS‌ area.  We had a great conversation about visuals being a valuable contributor to the buy-in of a concept.  The value of being able to use Esri icons in representing architectural concepts sounded intriguing, so I searched around to see if others were asking about it and found this thread.

I have brought this request to the attention of those who can help out here at Esri– they're considering how to provide this for our users, and if we can find a solution to this, I will let you know here.  

Stay tuned!

RuiMenezes
New Contributor III

Hi Steven

That woul be great. As Joshua mentioned in the original question I believe that both the community and ESRI with benefit if "standard/official" ESRI icons could be used in presentations.

Thanks for taking the time to follow up this question.

Cheers,

Rui

0 Kudos
Martinde_Haan
New Contributor

That would be awesome to have!

Cheers,
Martin

0 Kudos
Bill_Cozzens
New Contributor II

Any update to the status of this Steven?

Thank you!

Bill

StevenAustin
Esri Contributor

Hi Bill,

We’re still working on it (really) – we see the need and hope to have something to share soon.  

In the meantime, if anyone from this thread has urgent need to use icons as discussed, please contact me directly.

Thanks

SteveSchunzel
New Contributor III

Thanks Steven, I would be very interested in those icons, but I don't see any option to DM you or an email.

-Steve

0 Kudos
JaredYost3
New Contributor III

I am drafting a GIS strategic plan and they would be helpful for me as well.

On a side note the symbols might also be very useful when writing questions and or responses on the GEONet forums.

Thank you

0 Kudos
CarlVon_Stetten1
New Contributor II

Thank you Steven.  This would be really useful to have, as I'm drafting our ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 upgrade/implementation plan.

0 Kudos
Aled_Jones
Occasional Contributor

Hey Steven,

Could you follow me? I'd like to get in contact regarding the icon pack/Stencil pack! 

Many thanks,

A

0 Kudos
John_Spence
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Steven,

Tried to message you directly, but I assume you know how that went.  Would it be possible to snag a copy of those icons mentioned?  It would be supremely helpful.  Thank you!!!

0 Kudos