Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
Marco_E_Cadario
New Contributor II

Where do you work and what is your role?
I'm a founder of MobyPlanner, we develops B2B solutions for companies who need to provide innovative tools to their staff traveling or to moving goods.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?
We develop a fast geospatial agenda optimizer that solves the complexities that happen when the users’ schedule is layered with travel requirements in an urban environment. The solution is based on AGOL Rest API.
We are also mentioned on on MapBook '18 https://www.esri.com/en-us/esri-map-book/maps#/details/1/3

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?
I specialize to manage and revamping large IT infrastructures. My gis skills are related to the necessary for the realization of the geospatial agenda that is Geocoding, Routing and Network Analytics Services.

Work location
45.506762, 9.163105
Favorite location
45.832119, 6.865575

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Marco from Milano,  Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find the community valuable. It is a welcoming community so don't hesitate to ask a question or search for solutions. Here are a few places to get you started:

Network Analyst

ArcGIS Online

Tips for searching GeoNet:

Video Link : 4585

The Glacier on the Italy/France border looks amazing! 

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
deleted-user-8coTVLwSlVEk
New Contributor

I am currently a GIS college student in Ontario, Canada. I will be graduating in June 2019 and I am currently looking for work. My passions are in city planning, asset management, and environmental consultation. 

Continuous learning of ArcDesktop products, newly introduced into ArcPro, using REST,  open data software. 

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I am passionate about teaching individuals about the strength of GIS products. 

Willing to learn more about municipal mapping, and using GIS through the environmental consultation process. 

Cheers!

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Anna, Welcome to GeoNet! Congrats on your upcoming graduation! GeoNet is a great place to network as you start your GIS career. Also, a great place to continue your education, look for solutions and ask questions.

Here are a few places to get you started:

GeoMentors

Education

GIS Jobs

ArcGIS Pro

ArcGIS REST API

Good luck with the job search! 

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
BillyMendell
New Contributor II

I work at Carthage Water and Electric Plant in Carthage, Missouri. I just started this new job as a GIS Technician about 4 weeks ago, as I was a meter reader previously. 

I am still new to working with GIS and working with ArcMap but I have began the basics of training. I have been working with creating simple maps and locating points to show where important areas are in our field. 

I would say my expertise is learning or picking up on things quickly and taking off with them. I love to take on new challenges and with this new job as a GIS Technician I think I have a lot of opportunities to do that. As I previously stated I work at a water and utility company so really anything that could help me get a good start on working with arc map. We locate where water mains, sewer lines, electric meters, transformers, etc. are on our map of our town. I also will be working on a project coming up that is all of our archived drawings and maps and I will need to locate them on a map so our employees can easily pin point a location and display the map of that area. 

Thanks!

DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

I started at my cities wastewater treatment plant then the water crew then GIS Technician as well. Have you looked at Coursera before? They have a specialization course offered through UC Davis on GIS. Its 5 courses that teach you, starting with fundamentals to model building, all the way to imagery analysis. Its $50 a month until you finish all 5 courses in the specialization. I did it when I was first introduced to GIS and it was a tremendous leg up for my career; but keep learning because its a changing landscape (I'm branching into piloting and collecting drone data for my city now!). Additionally, I'd check out the free MOOCs Esri offers through their training page, they are great refreshers and crash courses there. Good Luck on your Journey!

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Billy,  Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find our community useful!

Here are a few places that might help get you started:

ArcGIS Desktop Installation support‌  (we currently don't have a spot dedicated to ArcMap, hoping to stand one up in future)

New to GIS

Education‌ (check out the MOOC program)

Esri Training

Water Utilities

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
MarkoTomljenovic
New Contributor

Hi everyone  my name is Marko and this is my introduction :

I am currently a Political science MA Graduate at Aarhus University in Denmark with a Bachl. degree in International relations and Diplomacy.

I have only recently found out about the power of GiS in executing my data analysis. My aim is to try and create an app that will use open source data to visualize real world and political problems as every GIS... my aim is to provide open source availability to the data that would otherwise be buried in xlms files adding different context analysis and predictions based on algorithms for policy makers. As far as I can understand this is the best place online if I want to do something like this.

My expertise are in executing social research, political policy and data analysis and foreign policy assesment. Besides this I am also very knowledgeable on Digital marketing and international advertising focusing on social media marketing and native advertising consultancy. If anybody needs help on either of these matters please feel free to ask.

Since I am a begginer at coding and everything GIS related; I would love to have a chance to discuss some ideas with someone that is more knowledgeable on GIS then I am. Currently I am using arcGiS to explore the possibilites of GIS and I find it very straightforward and easy to comprehend.

Looking forward for a chance to become a member of this community 😃

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello Marko,  Welcome to GeoNet and to GIS! The GeoNet community is a great place to get started in both GIS and Esri products. Here are some helpful places that might interest you: 

New to GIS

Education (check out the MOOC program)

Esri Training

Product Communities

Industry Communities

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
HariniSrinivas
New Contributor

Hello everyone, 

My name is Harini. I am an incoming intern at ESRI this summer and currently study at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, majoring in Computer Science. I'm super excited to be a part of the internship program and am hyped to move to Redlands for an incredible view of nature at ESRI's headquarters. Coming from a non-GIS background, I would love to learn about ESRI's products and features. My interests are playing cricket, badminton, racing and playing keyboard occasionally! 

Most favorite place on Earth is at (51.500867, -0.122492)

Look forward to being active on GeoNet!

Fight on !