Is it possible to use a Mosaic Dataset that is created in ArcPro in ArcMap?

Jump to solution
04-26-2018 08:33 AM
JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

I am trying to use a Moasic Dataset that was created in ArcPro (2.1.2) in ArcMap (10.4.1), is this possible?

I've attempted this a few different ways:

1. Create File Geodatabase, create Mosaic Dataset, and Add Rasters all in ArcPro.

2. Create File Geodatabase in ArcMap, then create Mosaic Dataset, and Add Rasters in ArcPro.

3. Create File Geodatabase, and create Mosaic Dataset in ArcMap, then Add Rasters in ArcPro.

4. Create File Geodatabase, create Mosaic Dataset, and Add Rasters all in ArcMap.

#4 obviously works and loads properly, as it is all created in ArcMap, but #1-3 all result in an "Error opening mosaic dataset" message when they are added to ArcMap.

All 4 creations load and display properly when added to ArcPro.

Is this possibly a versioning issue (hopefully), or is this just not possible to do?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JamieAndrews1
New Contributor III

Update...

Tech Support sent me this technical article:

Problem: Unable to open a mosaic dataset in previous versions of ArcMap

In a nutshell, it is not possible to open later versions of mosaic datasets in earlier versions of ArcMap.

Workaround is to create and maintain mosaic datasets in the earliest versions of ArcMap, and just use later versions of ArcMap for viewing only.

This doesn't solve the issue that I have, but it does answer the original question:

Yes, you can open ArcPro 2.1.2 mosaic datasets in ArcGIS 10.6.

No, you cannot open ArcPro 2.1.1 mosaic datasets in ArcGIS 10.4.1 because they are not backward compatible.

ChrisRobertson2
New Contributor II

Kory Kramer‌ I'm getting the same error after creating a mosaic dataset in Pro 2.3.0 and I am unable to open the MD in ArcMap 10.6.1. Is this expected behavior? What version of ArcMap is "compatible"  with Pro 2.3.0? 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Probably ArcMap 10.7 which will be released next month.  We have those enhancement requests that I noted earlier in the thread, and I see that this was just logged through technical support: [BUG-000119990: Mosaic Datasets created in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 cannot be consumed in any version of ArcGIS Desktop Prior to 10.7.]

Sorry for the confusion - looks like an opportunity for us to improve the experience.

ChrisRobertson2
New Contributor II

Guess I shouldn't have been so hasty to update . Thanks for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator