Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Great photos!  Kea and Kaka are basically feathered monkeys. 

PeterCorlett1
New Contributor II

I work for  large multi-national engineering professional services firm WSP where I manage the geospatial team for several states in Australia, based in Melbourne.

• What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

2019 is still young but... replacing a >200-page asset condition report with a simple but dynamic operations dashboard.

• What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I have been in GIS for 25 years and have been lucky to work across many industries and applications of GIS. I'm also a good cook!

Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth

-41.671073°,  145.943356° - Cradle Mountain National Park, Tasmania

Here's a photo  from  October 2018 to whet your appetite...

PhilipQueen
Occasional Contributor

That's a great photo Peter!

MrinmayeeBharadwaj
Esri Regular Contributor

Holy Cow! What a capture!

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Peter, Welcome to GeoNet! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you in 2019, hopefully, you can find some helpful info here: Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS‌. This is a great place to ask questions as you progress with your project. 

Also sounds like you have a wealth of GIS experience to share with the community, we welcome your experiences and expertise!  

Beautiful location!! 

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
Laura_B
Esri Contributor

That's a really beautiful picture, Peter.

0 Kudos
MichaelRigney
New Contributor II

Lake Moraine Trail build

MichaelRigney
New Contributor II

I am the GIS coordinator (full-time volunteer [retired GIS coordinator for a small City in AZ]) for the Trail and Open Space Coalition in Colorado Springs. 

I have been working on a joint effort with the Rocky Mountain Field Institute and the Pike National Forest to develop a trail development and management plan for the Waldo Canyon burn area near Garden of the Gods Park.

I have been using GIS in major planning programs for over 25 years primarily in the fields of wildlife management, water resources, environmental planning and community engagement. I am currently working on a number of "story maps" to illustrate community programs. I am an avid mountain biker and work with the local mountain bike advocacy group Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates on trail planning and sustainable trail construction. 

Garden of the Gods   38.8784° N, 104.8698° W

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Michael

Welcome to GeoNet, love the candid pic, you look super relaxed and enjoying life! But why wouldn't you, working in Colorado surrounded by so much beautiful nature!  Looks like you have some great experiences and projects, thanks for sharing. If you haven't come across these sites yet, they may be of interest:

Story Maps

Story Maps for Education

Natural Resources

State and Local - Environment and Natural Resources

Cheers! 

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
NedTroshanov
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role? 

My name is Ned Troshanov and I work as an Aquifer Data Analyst for the Edwards Aquifer Authority, San Antonio, Texas.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

I succeeded to create a 3D geostructural model of the San Antonio segment of the Edwards Aquifer (Balcones Fault Zone) based on spatial interpolation of well geophysical log data in form of raster datasets of the available lithological formation in ArcMap and subsequent extruding of the spaces between their TIN raster datasets in ArcScene.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

As a geologist and hydrogeologist, I'm using ArcGIS for interpolation of point data of different variable (geological units elevations, groundwater elevation surfaces, water-quality data, etc.) to visualize their space distribution in the subsurface and identify zones of functional interruptions (indicating inferred fault zones).