Edit a model does not open Model Builder

05-22-2018 05:28 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

It happened now a several times that I created a model in Model Builder (ArcMap 10.5.1) and when I try later to edit it, the model builder is not opening. I tried to open the affected models from ArcMap and also from ArcCatalog but without success. It might be that I had minimized the model builder window when closing the mxd file but I also closed all other windows hoping to find the small window for the model builder somewhere. No chance.

Does anybody have an idea if there is a way to recover these models somehow? I wasted already so much time on redoing models that suddenly didn't open again. 😞

Edit: I was able to open the model in ArcGIS Pro, saved it under a new name, exported the toolbox from ArcGIS Pro to 10.5 and was then able to open the model in ArcGIS again, only that I had to fix some of the processes again. I would still be interested if there is an easier way... 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Sergio_DanielLopez_Pinzon
New Contributor

Perfect, thank you! 

0 Kudos
SheikhHafiz2
New Contributor II

That worked for me.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Eric_in_Ohio
New Contributor

That was the solution!  I have 11 student exercises with models to grade for this exercise, and I have spent about two hours trying to find the first model.  You saved me.

ShawnHibbs1
New Contributor II

I just had this same problem with a model window not coming up in ArcMap and it wasn't hiding behind the taskbar. I found that opening the model in ArcPro resolved the issue as the model opens in the application instead of a separate window.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

This happened to me also.  The only way I could recover the off-screen window was to plug in to an external monitor with more pixels.  Then I could see the Model Builder window way to the bottom-left of the original extent of the laptop monitor.

0 Kudos