Tick box before online ArcGIS map opens

02-10-2019 01:30 PM
BrianCoulter
New Contributor

I am developing an online chart showing navigable water in Wexford Harbour. I am concerned about possible liability for accidental grounding etc. when boaters use (or misuse) this chart while navigating in the harbour. How can I force users to tick a box to accept "Terms of Use" before they can view or use such an Online ArcGIS map? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I think one option is to turn your web map into a web app and then use the built in option for a splash screen and use that for your disclaimer/terms of acceptance. To do this, open your web map, click the Share button, and then select one of the various Web App templates that you think fits best like the Basic Viewer template. From there, you'll enter the design mode when you can enable the splash screen and add the text of the disclaimer and change the text of the ok button to "I Accept" or whatever you'd like. Alternatively, you can go to your web map's item page and click the "Create a Web App" button to accomplish the same thing. Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about inside the options of the Basic Viewer Template:

The only downside I can see is that the original web map won't have the disclaimer. I'm not sure there is a way to add one for the standard AGOL web map.

BrianCoulter
New Contributor

Thank you Steve. That would have worked but when I looked further into it and I found that using a web app was more restrictive in design features than displaying the map on a website. I resolved the problem by creating a HTML page with the disclaimer I require and a tick box to confirm that the message has been read. Only then is the ArcGIS map displayed.

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Glad you found a solution that works for you. Web programming can be maddening because solving one problem usually leads right into a new one.

0 Kudos