Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
AleckSpracklin
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

My name is Aleck Spracklin and I am the GIS technician for the District of Kitimat in British Columbia, Canada.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

An organization called PSDRCS ran a survey last year researching a "Geospatial maturity index" looking into management and use of GIS in municipalities in Canada. I tied for 12th place in the year when I had arranged to purchase ArcGIS Server and completely reorganize our data.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I've been working in GIS, QGIS, AutoCAD, and Microstation since 1993. I have built GIS systems from the ground up for 5 different organizations over the years spending a lot of my time concentrating on data organization, standards, and training and mentoring. I've worked in GIS managing data and projects in scope from the town of 8000 people where I am now to international consulting firms with projects spanning the country and national boundaries. I've worked local government, provincial government, forestry and oil and gas industries. I've worked alone and I have managed teams of up to 9 GIS techs. I have managed complex automation projects within GIS, simple layout design, and most things in-between.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Aleck, Welcome to GeoNet! Sounds like you have a lot of experience in the GIS field, we welcome your knowledge and expertise and hope that you find the community valuable for what you need as well. We have a lot of great people here to collaborate with. 

Let me know if you need help in finding anything specific. A good place to start is on one of our landing pages:

Product Communities

Industry Communities

Developer Communities

If you need any help navigating GeoNet here are a few items to get you started:

Video Link : 4585

Video Link : 4644

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
HarryFerdiansyah
New Contributor

Hello all, my name is Harry from Indonesia

I'm geoinformatics enthusiast, working in the mapping sector 

I've been in the geospatial realm for 15 years, mostly interact with CAD, GIS and Spatial Database

Interested in data processing and automation

cheers!

introduce‌

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Harry, Welcome to GeoNet! Hopefully, you will find GeoNet a valuable resource to continue your GIS career and knowledge. Here are a few places you might be interested in checking out: 

https://community.esri.com/groups/arcnesia 

Spatial Analyst

3D

Cheers! 

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
AnnaFoster
New Contributor

Hello, my name is Anna from Boone County, Missouri, USA.  

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
    • I provide GIS support for Boone County Joint Communications (our county's 911 center) and the county Office of Emergency Management.  This includes maintaining the data for the computer-aided dispatch system and reference mapping systems, as well as producing various site maps, planning maps, exercise maps, and wall maps for the public safety community here.
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
    • There hasn't been a lot of this year so far, so I'll use 2018 instead.  I built the GIS components of a new dispatching system and facilitated the transition between a non-mapping dispatch system and a system that uses mapping data for dispatch.  ArcGIS 10.3, 10.4, and Python 2.7 were used in this endeavor.
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?
    • I have an MA in Geography with a GIS emphasis.  I've been able to automate all of my data update processes, along with multiple analysis processes and geocoding projects, via my expertise in Python.  
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Anna, Welcome to GeoNet! What great knowledge and experience you bring to the community! Very exciting accomplishments. I hope you find the community helpful in continuing/broadening your GIS knowledge.

We have a really active Python space you might be interested in. Also, these two places might be of interest as well: LocalLocal Government Solutions Users

Let me know if you need help in finding resources within the community! 

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
KristySidock
New Contributor

Hi Everyone!

My name is Kristy and I work in Municipal Government.  My role here is the GIS department....I am the only one .  

This past year I mapped our Cemetery.  Using my Trimble Geo 7X every single head stone was inventoried and a picture was taken.  All of this information was put into an awesome cemetery management program.  We have had great success with this and we have had individuals able to find loved ones and add the pictures and information to their ancestry profiles.  

In the past I have worked in oil and gas mostly creating Emergency Response Plans and Maps. I have managed a team of 4 GIS technicians in the past and loved it!  I have worked in Municipal government now for about 6 years.  

Favourite place on earth.... -117.915542   33.809742

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Kristy, Welcome to GeoNet! You are not on your own anymore, our community is very friendly and welcoming so I hope we can help you on your journey as a team of 1! 

Let me know if you need help in finding anything specific. A good place to start is on one of our landing pages:

Product Communities

Industry Communities

Developer Communities

If you need any help navigating GeoNet here are a few items to get you started:

GeoNet Quick Tips: Spotlight Search

GeoNet Home Page Video

Awesome favorite location! I have to admit I have never been... say hi to Mickey for me the next time you visit!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
MichelleSchear
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

Hi! My name is Michelle and I am currently looking for a position as a GIS technician. I graduated with a Master degree in Meteorology where I took GIS courses and fell in love. The courses I took focused on learning how to use ArcGIS to analyze marine and atmospheric data. 

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)

While searching for a position, I have also been keeping up with my skills by enrolling in online courses and doing various tutorials either on ERSI's site, or others. When I complete each course, or tutorial, I take it as a win! I come away with knowledge, either new or old (great refreshers!) that I can use as a GIS professional. Most of the time I use ArcGIS (ArcMap).

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

My expertise is in analyzing risk to an area (town, city, street), or to a parcel (home, business...etc) due to sea level rise and storm surge with ArcGIS. I believe it is extremely important to use GIS to inform the public (everyone loves visuals!) about climate change, which will hopefully help initiate change and technological advances needed in our ever changing world.

Favorite Place - so far! I can't wait to continue to travel and explore other places!

37.1773° N, 3.5986° W

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Michelle, Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find our community valuable, especially as you search for an opportunity in the GIS tech field. We have a lot of great resources for expanding your knowledge and networking with others. 

Here are a few places to help you get started:

Esri Training

Education‌ (check out our MOOC programs linked on this page)

GIS Jobs 

Ohh your favorite place looks amazing, Spain is on my bucket list, I will be sure to add this spot to my itinerary when I make it there. 

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos