copy restricted layer from AGOL in ArcGIS Pro?

01-31-2019 01:13 PM
GeoPolar
New Contributor III

please help me with this :

if I upload a group of Feature Class to AGOL(poweline point, line and polygon data only) , its possible to avoid any kind of copy/extraction via Geoprocessing in ArcGIS Pro/Desktop? 

my colleague, from AGP, loaded this shared Feature Classes, easily made a copy (by Feature to Line, Feature to polygon and Feature to point, and others GP too) of all our data. Even if this have copy restrictions. 

my upload process

in AGOL i Create a Group > [powerlines]

invite existent AGOL user > "colleague

Publish Web Layer General tab > share with > [powerlines] (our group) > No editing capabilities, no download data allowed

Colleague load powerline FC into AGP > make any Geoprocessing > obtain all "protected" layers from AGOL (!!!)  

Any Suggestions? (sorry for my limited writing capabilities)

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hey Miguel, 

Me and Matt Cashen‌, were just having a discussion about this topic, would you mind joining us on the following thread:

https://community.esri.com/thread/227602-why-can-anyone-with-rest-url-access-my-services-in-arcmap 

Regards,

-Adam

GeoPolar
New Contributor III

Thanks Adam. i read about Hosted Feature Layer View (Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS ) and try to open new HFLV in my colleague Laptop but same results. he could easily export this Feature Class to his Laptop Drive.

this is my configuration

HFL > Not Shared with Group, Editable, No Export (only for me, with full edition capabilities)

HFLV>Shared with Group, Non Editable, No Export (for colleague(s), basic query, view only)

if you load ANY HFL or HFLV in ArcMAP or ArcGIS Pro you can download full data and that is my concern about AGOL.

¿¿there is a way to bring layers to others (members of your organization or groups) without compromise tabular o vectorial data when hosting in ESRI Environment?? 

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi Miguel, 

If we share the service with Feature access, i.e. access to the table, i.e Feature Service, i.e Hosted Feature layers or views;  regardless of Export/Extract capability on the service or not, Someone accessing the Data in ArcGIS Desktop can copy the data all they want.

Note the capabilities like Editing, Export/Extract only dictate what the Service can do. It does not affect clients reading and then copying the data there after. (Desktop clients are very powerful tool in this regard)

This said, I would want to consider the primary usage of Feature Services. It is to Query attributes, and Editing the data from the service. They are tailored to workflows in this area and not necessary for just viewing a map.

To bring the layers to member of an organization without compromising the tabular data, we can use a layer without feature access, such as a hosted Tile Layer, or cached Map service. Only the image of the map is then shared, none of the Tabular data.

I hope this helps

-Adam

GeoPolar
New Contributor III

there is no way to do that (tiled Layer).

total lenght of my powerline layers reach about 38,406.45 km (24,000 miles) 

At least i kown AGOL is not the place for Vector sharing data. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Miguel, 

A no on tile layers?  I'm curious why; Is that because of the need for popups and attributes, or because its too many tiles to represent the data at the zoomed in scales?

Considering  a Line feature layer representing powerlines would need many raster tiles to represent all that distance, this is alot of blank or empty tiles.  A Vector Tile layer on the other hand would be far more efficient because it can Index the tiles based on feature complexity

To add to this, vector tiles will clip, simplify and segmented the original data into tiles, so a service is extremely difficult to copy and then reconstruct if using ArcGIS Pro, and you couldn't even read them in ArcMap as they are not supported in the older software. 

As for popups, Vector Tiles currently support Pop Ups in ArcGIS Pro, and will soon be able to do the same in ArcGIS Online.

GeoPolar
New Contributor III

adam. need support for this.

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Miguel, Feel free to contact us (Support) to open a ticket. -Adam

GeoPolar
New Contributor III

My company close all kind of support with Esri local dealer due to poor performance & reliability in support. (third world problems) but here is an example of extension.Chile PowerGrid

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Miguel, What is this extension? Sorry, I'm unclear how this is related to Vector tile layers as a way to Share data in ArcGIS online. 

0 Kudos