Field calculating NULL into a field of an RCE attribute table

01-22-2019 10:01 AM
JosephMonti
New Contributor II

I am trying to field calculate NULL into a field of an RCE attribute table but am receiving the following error message: "Unable to save changes.  Detail: Specified cast is not valid."  Has anyone else received this error message and/or know how to correct it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Does your field allow for NULLs?  That would be on the event level.  If it does, I usually just don't enter anything (I don't have to write NULL, as it'll write it automatically in the database and look like "<null>"

Have you tried just removing the value from that field, instead of using field calculate?  Or do you have a lot of fields you are trying to change at the same time?

0 Kudos
JosephMonti
New Contributor II

Yes, this field does allow for NULLs.  In fact, NULL is actually the default value for this field but one editor accidentally populated this field for multiple records, so now we are trying to change them all back to NULL.  We could change them one record at a time, but that would be very time consuming.  I am able to field calculate any of the other domain values for multiple records, so it follows that I should be able to field calculate NULL as well (NULL appears as one of the domain values).

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

If it's not letting you do it in RCE, I know you can do bulk updates of events in desktop R&H.  That is most often where I make large changes to events.  

0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

I've tested Event Editor 10.6.1 where an attribute that has a value other than <null> has been populated via an edit. I then used the selection tools in Event Editor to open the results grid and field calculate the edited attributes back to <null> simply by not filling in the value with anything and clicking OK. Is that the workflow you have implemented? What release of Event Editor are you currently operating on?

Amit @ Esri

0 Kudos