ModelBuilder - IDW (SA or 3D) - Z value field - Inline Variable Error 001000

Jump to solution
09-28-2018 10:53 AM
KeithAbbott
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm not able to use an inline variable (i.e., %Value%) to populate the Z value field of the IDW tool associated with the Spatial Analyst (SA) and 3D Analyst (3D) toolboxes. The Z value field of the IDW tool associated with the Geostatistical Analyst (GA) toolbox, however, does accept an inline variable (i.e., %Value%).

Here's the model:

A precondition for all three IDW tools is the Value variable (shown using dotted arrow lines). 

The error generated for the IDW (3D) and IDW (SA) tools is:

ERROR 001000

Z value field: Field %Value% does not exist

I need to use either the 3D or SA versions of the IDW tool, because is contains an Input barrier polyline features field; the GA version does not.

Oddly, the SA and 3D IDW versions accept inline variables for the Output Raster field. 

Any idea what the issue could be? Bug?

Is there a workaround?

I'm working with ArcGIS version 10.3.1 for Desktop.

Thanks for your time and any help,

Keith

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Instead of using %Value% I would just use the model variable Value from the picklist. If it isn't the right type to show up in the picklist, I would use the Calculate Value model-only tool to convert it to a data type that will work, using the expression r"%Value%" and output data type as Variant or Field (whichever will allow you to connect the output to the IDW tool as the Z field parameter).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielRadich
Esri Contributor

Hey Keith, 

It looks like this issue you are running into is most likely a defect correlated to the use of the inline variables. Have you tried running the model in ArcGIS Pro? Do you seem the same behavior with a model in that environment? 

Are you able to provide the point data? I am wondering if there is a pre-processing step that we can run that can essentially "Trick" the IDW geoprocessing tool into successfully reading that field value using inline variables. 

Cheers,

Danny 

0 Kudos
KeithAbbott
New Contributor II

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your response.

I haven’t tried running the model in ArcGIS Pro.  It's not installed on my system.

I was able to resolve the issue awhile back using ArcGIS Desktop v.10.3.1.

My solution was to change the Point Source Data from Project Data type to model Derived Data type, using the Copy Features tool. For some reason the IDW tool (from the SA toolset) ran successfully when the Input point features parameter was a model derived layer (i.e., Copy Features tool output). So it wasn’t so much an inline variable issue (%Value%) with the Z value field, as I previously thought, but a Input point features issue. I suspected the SA and 3D IDW tools had some issue reading the field names of its Input point features layer, if that layer was not created in the model. 

Here’s a picture of my model (clipped), with the Copy Features tool utilized. Project Data type is shown in blue and Derived Data type is shown in green.

Here’s a screenshot of the opened IDW tool (SA).

The warning I get for the Z value field is:
Warning 001000

Z value field: Field %Value% does not exist

The model runs fine despite this warning (I guess a 001000 warning is better than a 001000 error).

Let me know if you're still interested in me sending you the Point Feature Class dataset.

I had some issues emailing you the file using the reply to email address, and i don't see an option to attach it to this thread.  

Thanks again for your help!

Keith

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Instead of using %Value% I would just use the model variable Value from the picklist. If it isn't the right type to show up in the picklist, I would use the Calculate Value model-only tool to convert it to a data type that will work, using the expression r"%Value%" and output data type as Variant or Field (whichever will allow you to connect the output to the IDW tool as the Z field parameter).

KeithAbbott
New Contributor II

Hi Curtis

Thanks for having a look at this.

Your advice worked.

It was a Data Type issue.

I created a Field data type variable from the Value variable (which has an Any Value data type) using the Calculate Value model-only tool and the equation you provided:

The Value variable does not appear in the Z value field parameter drop-down menu in the IDW tool, however, the Field variable does.

I’m able to select the Field variable from the list…no warnings or errors produced…and the model runs fine

Here’s a picture of the updated model:

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Keith