Forcing raster snapping to use bilinear interpolation

Jump to solution
12-19-2018 02:16 AM
sebastianotrevisani
New Contributor II

From what I understand when there are two or more rasters not aligned (i.e., a small shift of their pixel centers) the snapping in arcgis is generally performed via nearest neighbor. In some circumstances this is not a good solution, it is better to align pixels using bilinear interpolation (or other interpolation approaches). So I'm wondering if the alignment/snapping by means of bilinear interpolation in arcgis can be forced in this way: by means of the "resampling" tool, setting the same original pixel size and as resampling techinque the bilinear interpolation, with the care of selecting in the environments setting  the snap to the raster to which we need to be aligned. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sebastiano, I think you are confusing the environment setting Snap Raster with interpolation method.  Snap Raster has to do with where the lower left corner of the output raster "snaps to" not the interpolation method used. Suggest re-reading the help on these environment settings to clear up any confusion.

Every tool (including the raster tools) has that section that state which environment settings are "honored" by that tool. What environments are used by the tool varies from tool to tool, and it isn't always obvious (though it often makes sense when you think about it), so I'm glad this section of the help is there for every tool.

sebastianotrevisani
New Contributor II

Hi Curtis, 

Thank you, I marked correct your first reply (i.e., no way to force the use of bilinear interpolation on the fly).

However, I have no confusion on "snap setting", I just mentioned it because when you check the help of raster calculator (arcmap 10.5.1)  the only setting that could seems (but it is not!) related to alignment issues is that voice.

Sebastiano

0 Kudos