Mosaic raster dataset

01-25-2019 01:42 PM
EmmanuelOkoro
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm trying to mosaic 100+ raster dataset using the Mosaic to new raster tool, but it's taking for ever to complete. Its been over 30 hours and still running. Is there a faster or better way of doing this?

- Emma

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

arcmap or ArcGIS pro? Beefy machine or memory limited?

If using arcmap you have builtin restrictions to begin with.  If you have a high end machine and are using Pro, then it should be faster and limited by your resources.  The tools also supports the parallel processing environment variable so you might want to look at your resources

Parallel Processing Factor (Environment setting)—Geoprocessing | ArcGIS Desktop 

EmmanuelOkoro
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, Thanks for your feedback. It was very helpful. I successfully completed the mosaic of 390 raster but i noticed that the result produced an overlay of these pictures rather than a join/blend. I do see double features on the Mosaic created. I have tried playing around all the parameters but none seem to work well. Do you have any advice ?

Thanks,

Emmanuel  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you outline the process you employed to generate the raster mosaic dataset?  That way the experts on Geonet can provide guidance on improving your workflow or provide a better workflow.

EmmanuelOkoro
New Contributor II

Hi Michael, 
I did the geoprocessing analysis on ArcGIS Pro. I first used the 'Mosaic to New Raster' tool. my parameter is as follows - input over 100 rasters at once, set spatial reference for raster to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere, pixel type to 8 bit unsigned, cellsize to 0, mosaic operator to last and mosaic colormap mode to last. Run
My second step was the 'Mosiac' tool. In the parameter I input same rasters as the first step, Target raster was the created mosiac to new raster, Mosaic operator was set to minimum, Mosaic colormap mode was set to last, ignore Background value was set to 0, No data value also set to 0. and Run. 
Here's a link to what am trying to accomplish. ArcGIS Web Application    

Thanks 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Emmanuel:

Were you reprojecting the rasters in your Pro geoprocessing?  If so, how long did that process take to complete?  I only ask because I believe when you cache imagery you would want the imagery to already be reprojected and not have the reprojection take place during the caching process as that drastically increases the processing time for caching.

0 Kudos
EmmanuelOkoro
New Contributor II

Hi Michael,

I did the reprojection of the rasters in ArcGIS Pro geoprocessing. It took about 24 hours. It's about 390 images with high resolutions.

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How about creating a new RMD

Then add rasters to RMD

Then generate overviews

Will the RMD be used in an ArcGIS Server image service?  If so, the path to the original imagery will need to use UNC paths and not mapped network drives.

My experience with this workflow is strictly in ArcMap and I'm not sure all the tools I use in ArcMap have been ported to Pro yet.

EmmanuelOkoro
New Contributor II

Okay, I will try this out. Do you have any tips for compressing/reducing the size of caching for ArcGIS Server and Online.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using compact or exploded cache?

0 Kudos