Trouble getting Collector for Android to use GPS location from Trimble R8

01-16-2019 12:32 PM
BenPoole
New Contributor

So, this is my first time using the Collector app. I've created a map to test on which I can open and edit in the Collector App. But, I can't get it to work using my Trimble R8 Model 3 as the location provider. 

I first downloaded GNSS Status from Trimble and connected to the receiver. The receiver connects to this, I changed my "Mock Location" settings in my phone to reference the GNSS Status app. But, anytime I open Collector, or Trimble DL apps GNSS Status immediately gives me a notification that it lost its connection to the receiver.

Now, back to Collector. When I open up my map and have my location provider in the app set to my phones intergrated GPS it works fine, but the precision only goes down to ~15 feet, so I don't think the mock location is working to provide the accuracy from the receiver to Collector.

When I change the location provider in Collector to the Trimble receiver, the GPS location doesn't show up at all (no location or precision). 

Am I missing a setting or anything that needs to be configured differently for this to work?

I also downloaded GNSS Direct from Trimble. From other resources online it seemed like this was necessary for my phone to pair with the receiver at all, is this correct?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ben, I would make sure your device meets the requirements here: GPS receiver support—Collector for ArcGIS (Classic) | ArcGIS 

Also, I would check if the firmware on the R8 is up to date.

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Ben- I've just been through something similar with the R2. See my recent post with what eventually worked here: https://community.esri.com/message/827109-collector-with-trimble-r2-record-correct-gnss-receiver-nam... 

The integrated receiver connection in Collector using the mock location provided by GNSS Status is not the way to go, even though it appears to sort-of work for some things. Let me know if you need any additional pointers- I'm new into this but finally got mine working correctly.

Also- I agree with Dan about firmware and settings updates. Even though I bought my R2 with GPS/GLO/GAL etc, it came out of the box with only L1 GPS activated. Had to use the Trimble Installation Manager via USB to update firmware and activate all the purchased options (including NMEA output I think).

peterpellitier
New Contributor

Hey Aaron, 

Nothing like reading through old threads. I am having a very similar problem with the new ArcGis Field Maps app, meant to replace Collector paired with the Trimble Catalyst. Android 10

I can enable location sharing as a developer in Android and Trimble Mobile Manager is able to get a good lock using my Precision subscription. I have shared my signal with other apps in TMM as recommended. However, when I open FieldMaps or Collector, and use the 'integrated provider' which is now the Catalyst(?), I am unable to get anything better than a standard tablet GPS signal ~8m. As you suggest, the mock receiver dosen't seem to actually work. 

Any help you can provide? @AaronWorthley1 @Anonymous User 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Peter, Unfortunately, I've no good advice to offer. I ended up bailing on the Android devices altogether and switched to iOS which has been simple and straightforward to configure.  I would check out the link I referenced to the other thread if you haven't already. I haven't been following it closely, but I think some other folks have found some workarounds to various Android issues and you may find something helpful.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-collector-questions/collector-with-trimble-r2-record-correct-gn...

0 Kudos